Bad brew day-grain in fermenter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach976

Reaction score
After a horribly stuck sparge and not paying attention I got grain into my boil kettle which then went into my primary fermenter. It has settled to the bottom of my fermenter but I haven't pitched my yeast yet. Should I transfer to another carboy or just leave it and pitch my yeast?

After a horribly stuck sparge and not paying attention I got grain into my boil kettle which then went into my primary fermenter. It has settled to the bottom of my fermenter but I haven't pitched my yeast yet. Should I transfer to another carboy or just leave it and pitch my yeast?

If you haven't pitched yet then I would transfer it to another fermenter but I don't think it will matter to much unless it's a lot of grain.

The damage, if any depending on amount of grain, is already done. Boiling grains extracts tannins which might cause astringency aftertaste, but it would take a lot of grains to do that to a 5 gallon batch. I'm sure it will be fine.

The damage, if any depending on amount of grain, is already done. Boiling grains extracts tannins which might cause astringency aftertaste, but it would take a lot of grains to do that to a 5 gallon batch. I'm sure it will be fine.

Agreed. If the amount of grain is negligible, I don't think you should have an issue.

Thanks for the help everyone. I went ahead and transferred to another carboy leaving the grain and hop debris behind. Do most people strain or filter the wort before going into their fermenter?

I used to, but recently I have started just pouring all into fermenter after cooling. I haven't had any negative effects, but if I'm not ready to keg after three weeks I transfer to a carboy just in case.

Latest posts

Back