backyard sauna build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the sauna at my gym maxes out at 185F. I can usually stay in at that temp for 15 minutes, but sometimes not. I can’t imagine 212F! How do you keep from fainting?

i use mine around 185-190f in the winter, more like 175-180f in the summer. taking breaks/cool-offs are part of the sauna experience. i like 15 minutes in, 15 minutes out. if it is wonky cold in winter, i might only do 10 minutes out. if you only pop out for, say, 5 minutes and then jump back in, you'll typically want to get back out after a very short time as your core never really cooled from the last round. not the biggest fan of beer in the sauna, i like to enjoy outside between sessions in the hot room. 15 minutes in with some water, 15 minutes out with a beer, 15 minutes back in with water, repeat.

almost all electric units sold in the states have controls on them that limit the max temp, i couldn't get mine above 160f at first. the temp sensor for my unit is behind the heater and is lashed on a 'handle' near the top. i took off the restraining wire and was able to physically lower the sensor closer to the floor. i only had to drop it 8" or so and i could easily get up to 200. crazy how that small change in elevation had enough temp change to 'trick' the system into thinking it is cooler than it is.

most sauna's here in finland, especially the "shared" ones in the cellar of apartment blocks, max out at 85 celcius. With a wood burner, a bit hotter feels less hot than electric.

I prefer to drink the beer in the dressing room/outside, but adding a a few drops of beer to the löyly is always nice.

Fascinating thread. I got hooked on saunas while going to college in the UP, (Michigan Tech.) and would really love to have one in the back yard here. Guess I'm going to have to arrange our next vacation to be to a place with a sauna, to see if my wife enjoys one. (Saunas aren't really a thing in the Philippines, you can sweat just standing in the shade most days.)

But if I build one, I'll need a cold pool for taking a plunge afterwards, that's the way we did it in the Keweenaw. Nothing quite like stepping out of a hot sauna and diving into Lake Superior!

Great build @itsnotrequired , thank you for the detailed walk-through.

How did the under seat return air vent workout? I have been seeing conflicting designs of high vent vs mid height vent, and I do love your convection to the change area idea.

I am just about to start a build and would love any sharing on lessons learned or what you would do if you were to build a sauna 2.0?

Thanks

With sauna it depends on how, where and what.
-how are you going to heat it?
-will it be in house or it's own building?
-what is your location like? Lakeside, in town or countryside.

Great build @itsnotrequired , thank you for the detailed walk-through.

How did the under seat return air vent workout? I have been seeing conflicting designs of high vent vs mid height vent, and I do love your convection to the change area idea.

I am just about to start a build and would love any sharing on lessons learned or what you would do if you were to build a sauna 2.0?

Thanks

i agonized over the venting situation, probably an unhealthy amount! the fresh air vent and hot air exhaust really need to come from the same space to function properly. vent/exhaust directly to the outdoors can be problematic, especially on a windy day. pressure differences can be such that the vent functions as the exhaust and vice versa. it 'works' but is not ideal. this doesn't tend to be an issue with an indoor sauna as they typically exhaust into the interior space of the residence. this is where the changing/transition room on an exterior sauna comes in handy, sort of like an indoor sauna brought outside.

exhausting through the exterior walls back into the changing room was not an option. an exhaust on the shared wall with the changing room could also work but it 'short circuits' airflow with the fresh air vent on the same wall. i considered a chase in the 'attic' above the hot room, with a grille at the ceiling to exhaust back into the changing room but i felt an exhaust up high would also result in a lot of heat loss. in hindsight, it probably wouldn't have been a big deal, the hot room stays plenty hot. the under bench venting through a chase creates an elegant compromise between function and aesthetics. air moves fairly well and there is no visible exhaust grille in the room. i've taken a few saunas the last couple weeks and it is very hot/humid where i am at, it has felt uncomfortable in the hot room. i like to think it is due to the ambient conditions and not cooling down enough between rounds but maybe it is airflow? i actually looked into this today and the little fresh air vent i have near the floor under the heater is the perfect size for a computer fan (4"). i have a fan with usb connection that i use in my keezer that will fit in the vent and there is a receptacle nearby. next time, i am going to try to force some air into the hot room and see if it is a different feel.

what would i do different with my build? i would raise the window in the shared wall between the hot/changing room about 4" or so. i still get a decent view as-is but have to look down somewhat. another item is raising the benches a couple inches. there is an unwritten rule that when sitting on the top bench, you should be able to put your fists one atop the other on top of your head and touch the ceiling. the higher you sit, the 'cooler' you can run the sauna. one final one is moving the hot room light away from the heater. it is a good spot logistically and the fixture itself is fine but the plastic box i put in the wall is toast, as is the insulation on the conductors. i don't think a metal box would have helped much with the conductor insulation issue. it is a 'safe' installation in the sense that the conductors are away from any grounded surfaces. the insulation appears damaged (it isn't as if the conductors are bare) but it very well could just be some discoloration and everything is fine.

i like talking sauna :yes:

Latest posts

Back