Backyard grapevines in Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kdog22

Reaction score
I live in Houston and would like to plant a couple grape vines in my backyard and have started trying to do some research. I'm wondering if something like the Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Grigio or Merlot be able to grow and produce in this high heat climate. I'm wondering if they require a certain climate or soil to grow and survive.

Worst case scenario is that I plant some Muscadines that grow wild in the area. I'm just very unsure and don't want to waste time and money in something that won't work for me.

I'm also looking to possibly find somewhere local to find and buy vines. If nothing around, i'll just order from somewhere like this place:

http://www.harvestexpress.com/category-s/48.htm

Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

There is a new winery near Refugio, and they told me that they have two kinds of grapes that should do ok there- one is the above mentioned black grape (red wine) and they also said there was a "Spanish white" grape that should grow in that area. Unfortunately, I can't remember the variety but it's supposed to be able to tolerate the heat. You may be able to find out what that is. I'm sorry I couldn't help more!

To be honest, I'm looking more and more into setting up 2 or 3 different Muscadine vines. Maybe a bronze, a red and a black. I think it would be kind of cool to grow a grape native to the area so it's like i'm making a wine unique to my area. People brow cabs, merlots, pinots all over the place so those wines are also all over the place. I think i'm liking the idea of creating wine from local grapes because it would be a little different from the "normal".

Plus that'll give me the added benefit of knowing that these vine will grow and survive in my area. Plus they are readily available to purchase and are relatively cheap. Almost seems like a win win situation.

I would do a PH test on your soil before choosing vines, some like it more acidic then others. Because you are in 9a you will need to choose a vine species that can tolerate the heat. I know this may sound like snooping but the best thing to do would be to see what successful zone 9 wineries are producing and go from there.

I would do a PH test on your soil before choosing vines, some like it more acidic then others. Because you are in 9a you will need to choose a vine species that can tolerate the heat. I know this may sound like snooping but the best thing to do would be to see what successful zone 9 wineries are producing and go from there.

I may look into this as well. Even though i'm confident that muscadines will have no issues growing here. Never hurts to double check and save time/money.

Check the Texas A&M site. I found a lot of good information through them when I lived in Texas.

kdog, i live in galveston, i can give you all the cuttings you want for mustang grapes,if i would have joined earlier, you could have came and picked all you could carry.

kdog, i live in galveston, i can give you all the cuttings you want for mustang grapes,if i would have joined earlier, you could have came and picked all you could carry.

Thank you! I THINK, at the moment, I may just be looking into the muscadines only because the mustangs seems to irritate people's skin when handling and I havn't read anything about muscadines and that type of issue.

Either way, i've still got some serious yard work prep to do before I can even pick these things up. :D

Back