Backyard brew house build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backstrad

Reaction score
So I’ve been working on this for a while now. It’s been going pretty good so far.
B09E5D86-43CD-459F-AC99-032BAA6CEF34.jpeg

There will be a 15 gal spike system with a 50amp panel under the vent hood. I built the hood out of cedar. I had it lying around and it should tolerate the moisture. It’ll be vented by a vortex s-800 in-line fan (740ish cfm). By doubling the size of the fan I figured the steam wouldn’t have time to condense, so a condensate hood wouldn’t be needed. Hopefully I figured right?
4CBD53DE-624E-4BA1-8277-C1AC483A07DE.jpeg

Any thoughts on mounting the panel? I was thinking about using a tv wall mount just to be able to orient it where I want it.
BF66669C-8C5A-44B8-BCC8-0415B7CAB35D.jpeg

For fermentation, I have two temp controlled 10 gal fermenters with a third in the works. I built a glycol chiller from a old window a/c unit. I’ve never used a chiller before. I’m hoping to be able to lager with it. Anyone do that with this type of setup?
Also built a keezer. Four taps, holds six corny kegs. Bought a scratch and dent freezer, built the collar, inkbird controller.
A152C88E-90C7-4B32-8AC4-121A582A354D.jpeg

I’ve been trying to save money where I can, but also not skimp. I want to enjoy it, not wish I had done something differently when I’m done building it.

It's looking great! Very jealous of all the shiny tanks and kettles. Good luck with the rest of the build!

Looking awesome so far!

If you really want to be able to move the panel around, they make some pretty cool articulating arms for computer monitors. Not sure how necessary it will be once you have your space all laid out, but it's a thought.

So I’ve been working on this for a while now. It’s been going pretty good so far.
View attachment 571542
There will be a 15 gal spike system with a 50amp panel under the vent hood. I built the hood out of cedar. I had it lying around and it should tolerate the moisture. It’ll be vented by a vortex s-800 in-line fan (740ish cfm). By doubling the size of the fan I figured the steam wouldn’t have time to condense, so a condensate hood wouldn’t be needed. Hopefully I figured right?
View attachment 571548
Any thoughts on mounting the panel? I was thinking about using a tv wall mount just to be able to orient it where I want it.
View attachment 571547
For fermentation, I have two temp controlled 10 gal fermenters with a third in the works. I built a glycol chiller from a old window a/c unit. I’ve never used a chiller before. I’m hoping to be able to lager with it. Anyone do that with this type of setup?
Also built a keezer. Four taps, holds six corny kegs. Bought a scratch and dent freezer, built the collar, inkbird controller.
View attachment 571550
I’ve been trying to save money where I can, but also not skimp. I want to enjoy it, not wish I had done something differently when I’m done building it.

You may see a bit of condensation where the steam exits to the fan. The 8” fan is a great choice though, it’ll move 2x air over a 6” fan. You may see a drop or two from the fan at full boil so run a test boil before you build in the fan.

I usually don’t turn on my fan until I’ve transferred to the bk and started to heat up the wort to boil. Before that I just keep the lid on the mash and HLT to keep everything in the kettles.

Thanks for the replies. You may be right about it condensing on the pipe inlet. I’ll be sure to do a full 60 min test boil, and just see what happens.

Nice job so far, having a dedicated brew house/building is the way to go. I brew in my basement and of course the usual comments from the other half are all brew smell related.:no:
What are the dimensions (footprint) of the unit you are building?
Best of luck bringing this build to completion!!!!

Last edited:
Nice job so far, having a dedicated brew house/building is the way to go. I brew in my basement and of course the usual comments from the other half are all brew smell related.:no:
What are the dimensions (footprint) of the unit you are building?
Best of luck bringing this build to completion!!!!

It’s actually just a big shed, 12x24 I ordered it with double pane windows, nine light door, 16” OC framing etc.., so I could easily finish the interior. Originally I was going to get a building 10x14, I’m glad I didn’t. It fills up fast when you start putting everything in there.

That's a pretty setup, good luck! Keep up the posts!

You asked about the glycol setup with the A/C unit. These work pretty good, but note that you do need to change out the polypropylene glycol fairly regularly as it can host some organisms and it has no corrosion inhibitors. Pay attention to the evaporator coils you submerge in the reservoir, because of the glycol and the dissimilar metals it may show signs of corrosion over time.

That's a pretty setup, good luck! Keep up the posts!

You asked about the glycol setup with the A/C unit. These work pretty good, but note that you do need to change out the polypropylene glycol fairly regularly as it can host some organisms and it has no corrosion inhibitors. Pay attention to the evaporator coils you submerge in the reservoir, because of the glycol and the dissimilar metals it may show signs of corrosion over time.

I honestly never even thought about the water just sitting and getting all nasty. Years ago, I had a very large stock tank for cattle, I treated that with a natural anti-microbial. Maybe, I could use that? I hate wasting water.

I honestly never even thought about the water just sitting and getting all nasty. Years ago, I had a very large stock tank for cattle, I treated that with a natural anti-microbial. Maybe, I could use that? I hate wasting water.

I’d look into it, but make sure it’s compatible with your glycol. I mean it can go a long while between changes, but I would say once a year or so you should pull out the old RV antifreeze and put in new. This is what I’ve previously read and I believe is also recommended on actual professional style chillers.

I’ve been running glycol for three years and have never noticed any grunge. Two of the three years the unit was in a garage.

95B39982-8FF8-4A9B-979E-09F7EB8E6F4B.jpeg

Thanks for the input. Things have progressed. I started moving stuff in. I now have a new learning experience at hand. I started testing the brewing system by running water through it. I have a bunch of problems with the panel. Both elements won’t run at the same time. The panel shuts down and I have to reset it. Also the boil element won’t shut off. Even the e-stop won’t shut it off! I have to shut the power supply off to turn off the boil element. I’m pretty sure the relay is toast. I’ll be contacting spike in the morning. All I can say, is that I am less than impressed with the electrical components of this system.

Attachments

• A3BB5C27-25B6-4E62-BDFA-4D00F5FA934D.jpeg
    A3BB5C27-25B6-4E62-BDFA-4D00F5FA934D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 157
Back