backsweetening\kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrothead600

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of cider that has been racked into the secondary for approx
1 month. It has been totally clear for 3 weeks. I used Safale S04. My plan is to back sweeten it & keg it to force carb it. I know that I need to kill the yeast prior to back sweetening . I plan on using campden & potassium sorbate together.
How much of these should I use for 5 gallons?
Should I add this to the secondary for a couple of days before kegging?
Any help is appreciated.

I have a 5 gallon batch of cider that has been racked into the secondary for approx
1 month. It has been totally clear for 3 weeks. I used Safale S04. My plan is to back sweeten it & keg it to force carb it. I know that I need to kill the yeast prior to back sweetening . I plan on using campden & potassium sorbate together.
How much of these should I use for 5 gallons?
Should I add this to the secondary for a couple of days before kegging?
Any help is appreciated.

Rack to a fresh carboy leaving all the settled out yeast and sediment behind.

Add:

1/2 tsp sorbate per gallon.
1/4 - 1/2 tsp TOTAL kmeta for the batch.

Add and stir gently. Give the cider 4-7 days.

Then rack to your keg and sweeten/carb.

This my proven method for Sussreserve

I put my thawed concentrate back sweetening right into the keg, rack on top, hit it with co2. Then roll the keg around a bit to mix it up. Then right into the keezer. My keeZer is set to 38 degrees. I have never had any additional yeast fermentation problems. For me.... No campden no potassium sorbate. Just get it cold fast.

Has anybody else had success with back-sweetening w/o use of K-sorbate like NFryan? My cider is about 38 deg F now and I'm ready to keg. I want to rack into the corny keg over some biofine > drop some apple juice concentrate and carbonate without dosing K-sorbate. It's had about 4 weeks at 68 deg F and is pretty dry.

I understand the risk in doing this with bottles at fermentation temps, but what could happen in the keg?

Has anybody else had success with back-sweetening w/o use of K-sorbate like NFryan? My cider is about 38 deg F now and I'm ready to keg. I want to rack into the corny keg over some biofine > drop some apple juice concentrate and carbonate without dosing K-sorbate. It's had about 4 weeks at 68 deg F and is pretty dry.

I understand the risk in doing this with bottles at fermentation temps, but what could happen in the keg?

The key is temperature. He was keeping his cider super cold and thus the yeast had no chance to get going. If you do the same, then I don't see any problems. But, again, keeping a super low temperature is the key so that the yeast do not wake up.

Latest posts

Back