Backsweetening and Pasturizing and stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dboone

Reaction score
I've only made a couple of batches of cider, the first batch was a bust, but the second batch has been nice, but a bit drier than I would have preferred. It was definitely drier than my wife would have liked. So, I am planning on backsweetening and pasturizing my next batch and would like some feedback.

I was planning on using apple juice concentrate for the back sweetening, but I am unsure of the best way to hit the level of sweetness I want and the level of carbonation I want. I typically add about 5 oz of priming sugar for the level of carb I like in cider, how much apple juice concentrate would be equivalent to this?

Another question I have is about determining when it is time to pasteurize. I know how long to expect beer to carb using priming sugar (about 3 to 4 weeks in my case), but I have no idea if the apple juice concentrate will take more or less time. I plan on just taste testing bottles to figure it out exactly, but I would like be in the ballpark before I start opening bottles.

Finally, what kind of wiggle room do I have on pasteurizing before I get bottle bombs? A day or 2? Thanks for your help

Back