Backpacking your brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm an ultralight backpacker myself.. and i had to see this thing in action..

Last edited by a moderator:
No thanks. I doubt it's as good as a normal brew. Seems kinda sketchy. I backpack as well and there's an easy solution that doesn't sacrifice quality. A good bottle of whiskey. Try it my friends.

CRoth36 said:
No thanks. I doubt it's as good as a normal brew. Seems kinda sketchy. I backpack as well and there's an easy solution that doesn't sacrifice quality. A good bottle of whiskey. Try it my friends.

Yes. And one can of some awesome pale ale when you have a nice view.

i usually pack in cans, of course. i'll do ten fidy, modus, hop knot, java stout.. etc.
another idea is just to carry homebrew in a 1 liter water bottle using the Carbonator. i'll pop in about 28oz of beer and put in 12psi. works like a charm. ;)

Next thing we'll be seeing is Mountain House freeze dried IPA. But on a serious note, I can't imagine any sensible backpacker carrying something that will only further dehydrate your body on the trail. I'll be saving the beer to go with the hot slice of pizza after returning from the trailhead after a trip.

1st person to drink the whole container of concentrate wins.

Next thing we'll be seeing is Mountain House freeze dried IPA. But on a serious note, I can't imagine any sensible backpacker carrying something that will only further dehydrate your body on the trail. I'll be saving the beer to go with the hot slice of pizza after returning from the trailhead after a trip.

If you can take the weight and are going to be camping near a cold river/lake then bring a couple beer (I don't recommend glass bottles). River chilled beer and campfires go together like Ramen noodles and Pepsi can stoves.

I think this is pretty cool most backpacking stuff of this ilk is so damn expensive too, not just 30 bucks. If you had a multi day thru hike this may be cool.

A plastic bottle ( or two, depending on the trip) of liquor for on the trail. Soon enough, you'll have a spare water bottle. Stick a couple beers in the stream in a secret spot close to the trail head for when you get back. THAT! is when a cold one really hits the spot.

:mug:

This is why I canoe instead of hike. I can load a few cases into a canoe. I only have to worry about the portages, and I bring my kids for that. :D

Honestly though, I think I'd just dump the concentrate into some cold water and drink it flat. That whole carbonation thing looks like a huge PITA.

That whole carbonation thing looks like a huge PITA.

You could always toss in a alka seltzer or two. lol. When I was in Iraq, we had this nasty stuff called Near Beer. I can't imagine anything tasting more horrible than that stuff. lol

I never even tried the near beer on my overseas tours, figured why bother. Same would go for backpacking, I'd either cache some ahead of time, deal with the weight, or skip it. I wouldn't want some poor tasting compromise.

Me either. And to deal with the weight I'd bring a high ABV beer, if not wine, mead, or whiskey.

Latest posts

Back