Back to the basics.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PADave

Reaction score
I do all my brewing outside, AG BIAB, and it's been too cold for my likes lately to brew. So I'm going to take a step back and do an extract brew inside. Going for a quick, simple stovetop brew, and I want to see how it turns out so I can have that option if needed to fill a keg. Ordered morebeers Irish Red ale and plan on doing a partial boil. Got some extra bittering hops to make up for the partial boil low utilization rate. Plan is to steep the grains, and then boiling about 3 gallons with half the extract. Add the rest of the extract at end of boil and then chill outside in the snow. Then of course topping up with water in the fermenter.

I haven't done an extract brew since my first 4 one gallon batches starting out. Never did a full 5 gallon extract brew. Anything I'm missing?

It looks to me like you have everything covered but if you wanted to you could do a half size BIAB batch right on the kitchen stove. If you learn the shortcuts they don't have to take any more time than an extract batch and give you the full range of grains to use.

Don't plan to chill in the snow. It doesn't work well. Instead use a tub with water in it and add the snow to the water to keep it cold.

I agree on the snow, tried that last winter amd it took a while. Just did a 5g full boil on my stove (took forever) but used my ic to chill. Fortunately my sink is close enough the lines that came on it reached, I just had to buy an adapter for my faucet to hook onto a garden hose.

Why not do a budget 25' 3/8 OD chiller with vinyl tubing, 2 hose clamps and a garden hose end? Better than an ice bath.

I did the same thing a few times in the winter when I was in RI.

If you bought a kit you don't really need any extra bittering hops. The kits are designed to be right with what comes included.

It looks to me like you have everything covered but if you wanted to you could do a half size BIAB batch right on the kitchen stove. If you learn the shortcuts they don't have to take any more time than an extract batch and give you the full range of grains to use.

I don't want a half batch, want to fill a keg.

Why not do a budget 25' 3/8 OD chiller with vinyl tubing, 2 hose clamps and a garden hose end? Better than an ice bath.

Already have a immersion chiller. This is a simple inside brew, I don't want to be outside in 19 degree weather messing with water.

I did the same thing a few times in the winter when I was in RI.

If you bought a kit you don't really need any extra bittering hops. The kits are designed to be right with what comes included.

A partial boil isn't going to get the same hop utilization as a full boil would.

Already have a immersion chiller. This is a simple inside brew, I don't want to be outside in 19 degree weather messing with water.

I found an adapter at the hardware store that allows me to connect my chiller to my shower so I don't have to go outside.
20180111_170419.jpg

A partial boil isn't going to get the same hop utilization as a full boil would.
Not doing a full gravity boil will help in hop isomerization. Another reason late extract editions are becoming standardized.
Seems like you aren't missing anything other than what's probably habitual... yeast starter, refrigerated top-up water, hydrometer reading etc.

True but the kits are designed for a partial boil and the hop amounts should be taking that into account. When I did extract kits I never added any bittering hops. They came out fine.

What kind of water would be good to use for extract? For my BIAB I use distilled and add my own salts. Obviously mash pH isn't a concern. Thinking I'll just use bottled spring water? Our well water sucks, so that's why I always use bottled.

With all grain the mix of minerals is somewhat critical as the are needed in the mash. Extract has the mash already conpleted so the minerals aren't important except for altering the taste. Distilled will work fine as will "spring water" as neither has a bad flavor that will impact your beer.

I can understand that. I brewed last weekend when it was about 15F outside. Using the outside faucet was just a nightmare.

Brew is complete. Almost seemed too easy. Biggest pain was waiting for the stove burner to get wort up to a boil and getting all the LME out of the bag. Realized that this was brew #39 and was my first extract brew.

Back