Back sweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MASHturbator

Reaction score
I am currently embarking on a challenge to make a fruit beer that my non beer drinking gf will enjoy. I am new to the process of brewing and from everythin ive read the only way to get a sweeter and more than just a hint of the fruit in the beer is by backsweetening. This is a new term for me and looking for someone who could explain it to me. I am startin with a peach wheat beer and i want to end result to be a nice tasting beer with a sweeter peach flavor than "just a hint". Thanks you for your help in advance

To back-sweeten you either need to add unfermentable sugar like Splenda (not suggested) or kill the yeast you have in the beer so it doesn't start fermenting again unless you keg and add the keg to the fridge to put all the yeast to sleep. Back-sweetening beer is difficult unless you keg otherwise it is impossible to bottle-condition/carbonate beer that no longer has live yeast.

Good point about the needing a keg to do it well.

I'd recommend a shandy type thing. Brew a light 5-6% blonde ale with fruity/citrusy hops then mix it with some sugar free lemonade or other sugar substitute drink (I.e. The powder stuff). Make the lemonade/fruity drink up separately from the beer, then blend the beer and fruit drink to taste. Pick up a few fruity drinks to try out....lemonade, strawberry-mango, etc.

Latest posts

Back