Back in the saddle !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROLLTIDE

Reaction score
After a very near 3 year hiatus do to RL and the loss of ALL of my supplies and tools, I'm finally baby stepping back into my addiction. On a whim, I stopped by my LHBS and acquired a one gallon glass jug, an airlock and a packet of EC-1118 (mistake, I just thought I recalled that being a good yeast for cider). This was all I could spare at the moment but was stoked to get back in the game so I rushed home to get started. Since I didn't have Star-san, I made a bleach/water solution to sterilize and rinsed everything well. I added one cup of white sugar and pitched my yeast directly in White House juice (that was 2 weeks ago). I have since recieved the following items from Amazon : Cider House preium select cider yeast, mini autosyphon, hydrometer, caps, yeast nutrient, tannin, Star-san (yay), acid blend, k-sorbate and campden tabs. Now, I'm just waiting on a few last things to complete my starter kit : 2 one gallon wide mouth jars with airlocks, med roast oak cubes, yeast energizer, acid test strips and sparkloid.

Since this first batch would be considered an apfelwien (giving to mother in law after a 6 month age), I plan to put it in seconday as soon as the containers arrive which would be 3 weeks in primary @65-75 degrees. My biggest question would be a guesstimate on my final abv% since I didn't have a hydrometer to get a SG.....assuming I let it finish out to 1.000 or below.

FYI, the cheap rubber glove airlock is for a Friendship cake starter. It appears my thing is making consumables that take forever, lol.

Attachments

• 20180101_095052.jpg
    20180101_095052.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 65
A cup of sugar weighs about 7 oz, which should add about 20 points to a gallon. If your apple juice is typical at 1.050 you'll be at maybe 1.070 to start with potential for 9.1% or thereabouts.

Thank you! So glad to see a few familiar names like Yooper still here to guide us noobs !

Latest posts

Back