Baby Spider In Fermentor? Bad Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello guys today I came across a issue that seemed to of made my heart skip a beat. After I finished bottling my Kolsch i brewed 3 weeks ago, during clean up I found a small spider in my bottling bucket. I came to the conclusion that the spider got in this during the cooling process of my wort on brew day when it was outside cooling off. I taste tested the extra beer that wasnt enough for its own bottle and it still taste great, no off flavors or infections as far as I can see or taste. My worry is that will this affect the flavor 2 weeks from now after the carbonation is complete and spoil my beer? Thanks for your input and opinions fellas maybe im getting all worked up over nothing.

Hello guys today I came across a issue that seemed to of made my heart skip a beat. After I finished bottling my Kolsch i brewed 3 weeks ago, during clean up I found a small spider in my bottling bucket. I came to the conclusion that the spider got in this during the cooling process of my wort on brew day when it was outside cooling off. I taste tested the extra beer that wasnt enough for its own bottle and it still taste great, no off flavors or infections as far as I can see or taste. My worry is that will this affect the flavor 2 weeks from now after the carbonation is complete and spoil my beer? Thanks for your input and opinions fellas maybe im getting all worked up over nothing.

Them itty bitty baby spiders justz adds a bit of extra flavor and protein to an allready great beer! Fret not! If it tasted that good, it will be gone before any baddies show up....

I doubt there will be any impact. Many folks have had an insect in their beer at some point and time, adds a bit of protein.

Now if it were a six inch, poison spewing tarantula, I would be a little worried.

I doubt there will be any impact. Many folks have had an insect in their beer at some point and time, adds a bit of protein.

Now if it were a six inch, poison spewing tarantula, I would be a little worried.

Great, now I won't sleep!

OP, call it creepy crawly kolsch. Or kreepey, krawly...for some iteration.

Spiders like to get drunk, too. It is known.

[ame]http://youtu.be/sHzdsFiBbFc?t=53s[/ame]

Thanks guys for the assurance of my beer being safe. I was just worried since spiders carry bacteria and such. But in small amounts im sure everythings ok. In two weeks I will crack open a bottle and see. Thanks again! And yes I love the ideas for my brew name when i label them!

Latest posts

Back