[b]Pitching Multiple Yeast Strains[/b]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ta0

Reaction score
I am wanting to see the difference between fermenting a saison using a brett and one starting out with brett and finishing with a high attenuating strain (California, English dry, Champaign…) to decrease the time I have waited for a brett to chew away and get me something that wasn’t too sweet. My plan is in fermenter ‘A’ pitch brett at ~68F and hold for 2 days and slowly increase temperature to 75-80 depending on attenuation over the period of two weeks. In fermenter ‘B’ pitch brett ~86F hold for two days, pitch high attenuating yeast. Because I have one temperature controlled fridge I only plan on fermenter ‘B’ to be a total of 5-6 days fermentation. Temperature increasing on day three to 69F, day four to 70F day five 71F fermenter ‘B’ done and leave fermenter ‘A’ to continue… My question is pitching rates. I am thinking that I should pitch the recommended amount (0.75 million cells / ml / degree Plato) in the beginning but what about for my second yeast pitch? I do not want my beer to have a yeast bite and am nervous about over pitching yeast. If anyone has any experience please feel free to chime in. Any advice is helpful. Thank you ;)

Sounds like a lot of work.

I've brewed four 7.5 gal (finished, usually about 8.5 gal of wort post boil) Saison/Brett beers in the past year and just pitch a vial of Saison and a vial of Brett Brux right at the beginning. I let 'em go at room temp inside my house in a spot under the stairs (usually about 68-70 ish) for the first three or four days then ramp up a degree or two per day to about 76/78 ish. They usually ferment out in a couple weeks then are ready to bottle/keg or secondary with some wine soaked oak chips for a couple weeks.

All have turned out really nice and I think the Saison and Brett strains complement each other, contributing some yeasty/spicy/funky flavors and aromas.

Tiki Brew,

Thanks for your input... what was your OG/FG... I am thinking about going big and funky that is why I am considering an agressive yeast (OG 1070ish) and I want it to finish nice and dry.

Ive worked with Brett Brux in the past a bunch also, even using it as a primary strain it drys my beers out like crazy.
Actually im drinking an IPA i did with WLP644 as primary stain and it went from 1.062 to 1.005 in just about 2 weeks. (92% App Atn)

If your looking for "funk" then you need to let it age a while and mayb pitch brett c instead of b, c has a lot more of those barnyard, "horse blanket" type characteristics your looking for.

Regardless, you will need to let this age out and let the brett do its thing if your going for "funk"

Just my .02

If your looking for "funk" then you need to let it age a while and mayb pitch brett c instead of b, c has a lot more of those barnyard, "horse blanket" type characteristics your looking for.

my experience has been completely the opposite of this. C is more fruity, not barnyard

Thank you all for your input... is there anything I should be concerned about with over pitching if I pitch a standard starting pitch rate and then pitch a second yeast? would that over pitch and give me a yeast bite?

Back