B. Nektar Dude's Rug: Cider with chai

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkuchan

Reaction score
Yesterday I tried a drink called The Dude's Rug from B. Nektar. It's described as a mead with tea and chai, but it definitely tastes like an apple cider. The chai complimented it very well. I thought I could try something simple and just add some spiced chai tea to an apple cider brew and see how it turns out, but what would be the best way to do it? should I steep some tea bags during fermentation? After fermentation? before bottling? I'm very inexperienced with this aspect.

Thanks.

I made a Chai tea cider twice in the past. The first and best was with a strong brew of black chai tea added to the apple juice in primary fermentation.
For my next attempt I made a straight cider then racked it onto five chai teabags in secondary fermentation for 3 months. This didn't turn out so good, & the chai flavour was less evident.
So, I would brew up some strong black chai & add to the juice from the start. Also, I found that using a chai blend containing black pepper added a heat in the finished drink. You may like this, I did, but some might not! Hope this helps.

The burning question is, does it really bring the room together?
SWMBO bought a big box of Chai the other day. I may have to steal some for a gallon batch experiment.

Maybe it does? Given the popularity of chai in India, and cider in the UK, USA, & Europe (many others too), why not enjoy them together?
Waste no time, grab some juice, and throw that gallon experiment together before your Good Lady uses up that box o bags!

Yesterday I tried a drink called The Dude's Rug from B. Nektar. It's described as a mead with tea and chai, but it definitely tastes like an apple cider. The chai complimented it very well. I thought I could try something simple and just add some spiced chai tea to an apple cider brew and see how it turns out, but what would be the best way to do it? should I steep some tea bags during fermentation? After fermentation? before bottling? I'm very inexperienced with this aspect.

Thanks.

It's definitely a cider, not a mead. But the confusion is not surprising since B. Nektar is primarily thought of as a meadery.

It is an excellent cider. Love the stuff. I think I'll have to try to make some myself.

Back