B.B. Imperial Nut Brown Journal.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boscobeans

Reaction score
BREWER'S BEST IMPERIAL NUT BROWN 3/31/2012

Brought 2.5 gallons water to 170 degrees. (Stopped heat).

Steeped the grains (In muslin grain bag) for 20 minutes.
4 ounces Caramel 80L
4 ounces Chocolate
8 ounces Victory

Placed grain bag into colander and sparged gently with 1/2 gallon 160 degree water.

Heat on and slowly added (pre-warmed) 6.6 pounds Amber LME
Stirring vigorously added the dry ingredients;
2 pounds Amber DME
8 ounces Maltodextrin
and brought to a rolling boil.
4 drops of anti-foaming agent added to boil.

Added 1 ounce Columbus Bittering hops 15.2% Alpha acid
Continued boil for 40 minutes.
Added 1 ounce Willamette Flavoring hops 6.0% Alpha acid
Continued boil for 15 minutes.
Added 1 ounce Willamette Aroma hops 6.0% Alpha acid
stopped boil after 5 minutes.

Skimmed off floating hops/break with sanitized strainer.
Set covered pot in sink with 10 pounds of ice and water to begin cooling.

ONCE OFF THE BOIL EVERYTHING THAT COMES IN CONTACT WITH THE WORT MUST BE AND WAS SANITIZED

Put 6 pound block of ice (purified water) and 2 gallons of very cold spring water into Cooper's (new Style) fermenter.
Poured semi-cooled wort into fermenter and adjusted the temp to 70 degrees F.
TOTAL VOLUME 23.3 LITERS
HYDROMETER READING 1.053

Pitched 1 package of dry Safale S-04 yeast.
Covered fermenter and placed 2 frozen chiller packs around it (Held in place with an Ace Bandage).
Covered fermenter with vented cardboard box (keeps out light and helps control temp).

"Temperature stayed stable at 69-70 degrees for entire fermentation"
Day 1. Krausen 6 hours later... Creamy beige 1 inch thick.

Day 2. Krausen 1 1/2 inches thick with splotchy dark islands and lighter cream color. (wort very cloudy- very little trub forming)

Day 3. Krausen 1 inch thick... Dark splotchy rafts (small islands.LOL). (wort getting darker-trub forming)

Day 4. Krausen 1/4 inch thick. Mostly small dark clear bubbles. (wort clearing-lots of trub settling in bottom of fermenter)
SG= 1.038

REMOVED COOPER'S KRAUSEN COLLAR AND REPLACED COVER.
(FERMENTER WALLS ARE CLEAN-NO RING LEFT FROM THE KRAUSEN)
HYDROMETER READING 1.038
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 5. Krauzen almost gone, is now very thin and made of clear small bubbles with a few creamy spots. Fermenter is clearing and trub is becoming more compact.

Day 6 Krausen gone. Surface has one or two small areas of tiny, dark clear bubbles.
SG= 1.019

Day 7 Same surface bubbles. trub more compact.
SG= 1.019

Day 8 FG= 1.019 Bottling in 12 oz glass Sam Adam’s bottles. 1 Cooper’s tab per bottle.

Day 17. Popped one open. Carbonation and head are fairly good after only 9 days at 65-68 degrees. At this point it is a cloudy brew as expected and should clear up a little as it conditions. Aroma is rich malty with a decent hop and nut background. Taste very smooth with just enough bitter to balance out the malt.. Very slight sweetness will probably dry out a little with conditioning.

Down to the cellar (62 degrees) for a couple of months…

bosco

Congrats. Welcome to the obsession.

Thanks.

My first experiences with homebrew were with an open 12 gallon crock a couple of cans Blue Ribbon canned malt, sugar and bakers yeast.. LOL.. That was about 50 years ago.. Gave it up for a half a century(some good and some bad experiences) until I saw a few articles on "more modern" homebrewing equipment and ingredients...

bosco

I think you got the temps backwards for the grains. Normally the steep temp is the lower and the sparge is the higher.

Example:

steep @ 150° for 20 min
Sparge @ 175-180°

Am I wrong? I brew AG and my mash temp is always lower than the sparge.

It sounds like the beer turned out good. I'm not knocking you or anything. The temps are bothering me a bit.

Also, if you want to clear it better, let it sit in the primary longer. 8 days is a very short time. Most people recommend 3 Weeks primary.

Great notes! That's the way to do it.

I think you got the temps backwards for the grains. Normally the steep temp is the lower and the sparge is the higher.

The temp on the steeping water dropped to about 160 for the 20 minutes, so I figured the sparge (rinse) should be about the same... LIVE and Learn..

Thanks

bosco

Its cool, next batch steep them a little lower, sparge higher. You will get more from then that way.

Congrats on the first beer!

Thanks.

My first experiences with homebrew were with an open 12 gallon crock a couple of cans Blue Ribbon canned malt, sugar and bakers yeast.. LOL.. That was about 50 years ago.. Gave it up for a half a century(some good and some bad experiences) until I saw a few articles on "more modern" homebrewing equipment and ingredients...

bosco

Heh.. we had the same experiences back in the day when it was not legal to brew beer. Good ol PBR hop flavored malt extract. Legal because it was for "baking". Crappy yeast and cane sugar. Beer wasn't great.. but packed a kick. After a couple.. who cared. :)

Heh.. we had the same experiences back in the day when it was not legal to brew beer. Good ol PBR hop flavored malt extract. Legal because it was for "baking". Crappy yeast and cane sugar. Beer wasn't great.. but packed a kick. After a couple.. who cared. :)

Yup... Lotsa fun and headaches LOL.. I guess that's where I got the phobia about letting it sit in the crock after it was done bubbling... No airlocks on crocks back then.. Chlorox and a clean towel:D

bosco

Latest posts

Back