Azacca Pairings??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copper2hopper

Reaction score
I have 1lb of Azacca coming and have plenty of other "C" hops on hand as well as Mosaic and Amarillo. I'm trying to piece together a good IPA/APA recipe and wanna definitely use Azacca with something else. Any suggestions would help from anyone who has brewed with them before using them along with another hop. So far I been looking at using them with either Mosaic or Amarillo or Citra.

In Nov. 2015, I put a pound of Azacca in 10 gallons of single hopped IPA. So, I don't have any experience blending that hop.

My notes said: "Interesting hop flavors... pine and orange were the first two that I called out."

So, if you want to play up the pine, I would would think Columbus would blend nicely.

If you want to balance the pine then I think Mosaic and Citra are both good choices (as late or dry hops). Probably better than Amarillo with this hop.

Thanks m1k3. I'm brewing up 12 gallons of a the mosaic and Azacca combo tonight I think. Simple grainbill with HopShot for bittering and that's it for boil. Then 3oz mosaic with 3oz Azacca in a 45 minute hopstand whirlpool post boil. Then dry hop with mosaic Azacca and a little Citra. Should turn out solid with omegas west coast ale yeast.

I tried to pair Azacca and found thing - not a law but a good guide line - that if you use it, feature it. By that I mean unless you really have a knack for balancing hops, do the greater % of your hops as Azacca. As an example, I found that Aazcca as my 20 min, 2 min flameout and DH total should be 75% or greater of the hop bill. Have tried it with Amarillo, Citra, Mosaic, Belma and they all work out well as long as Azacca is primary. Or you could bitter with something like Waimea and the rest of the brew is Azacca. It is a unique hop - so why not make it the stand out anyway?

I just did an all Azacca brut ipa. Cold crashing now. The fg sample was very tasty.
Soon ill be doing a NE with Azacca, Equnot, and vic secret

Back