Azúcar Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grod1

Reaction score
So i am going to make some sort of mead hybrid (70% honey).This will be blended to a stout but i will be saving half of it for consumption.I have only made mead one time and it was great. I really enjoyed it and it works great to blend in sours! This time i will be making it a bit more complicated.
this is for 14 gallons @15%

31 lb Honey 70$
5.50 lb burnt honey- i will probably use a pressure cooker
1 lb Belgian Candi Syrup(beet) golden 7$
1 lb Rice Syrup Solids -boil 5$
1.5 lb coconut sugar 6$
.5 lb Maple Sugar - 9$
.5 lb date sugar- boil 8$

contemplating on Agave/lactose/ matltodextrine /vanilla beans or bee pollen.

I would love to hear any experienced mead makers thoughts on this.
Is there anything you would completely omit?Anything you would add more of?
Is there any sugars out there i am not thinking about?

Last edited:
Yeah... burnt honey is bitter. You want to caramelize the honey not burn it. Perhaps cook it at 230 F for a few minutes. Not at a temperature higher than 320 F.
The date syrup.. Why boil that? Yeast can ferment this bone dry.

Date sugar may be fully fermentable but its just ground dehydrated dates.Google says its insoluble. so i was going to throw it in a hop screen until it broke down.I might not be getting 100% out of it but i would rather a cleaner mead quicker.Besides I have to boil the rice syrup solids (i think) and sterilize my wild agave(if i use it) anyway.
i will aim not to burn the honey im not sure yet if i i will do an open pot of follow a pressure cooker tek on a mead forum. They're cooking for up to two hours but it doesnt say what psi if any.

the most inexpensive bulk honey online shipped is only 130$/5 gallons/60#s - "bakers honey" it is 100% pure
the cost goes up to 170 for wild flower and the prices go up for qualities after that.
Buy the cheap stuff? or dont cheap out on the most important part?
im up to 105$ with the budget honey 7.5$ a gallon.without bring into account yeast, yeast nute ,adjuncts

Last edited:
I'd scale it back to 2-3 gallon batch and see how it comes out.
The recipe looks too busy from here.
With 41 lbs of honey and other fermentables, is .5 lb of maple syrup and date sugar going to make any noticeable taste difference?
Maybe make 1 gallon batches with honey and each of the special sugars you have listed and see what the the different tastes are, you can then blend the results together.

I hear you that is the most logical thing.Half of this is for a braggot and the other half I'm splitting 3 ways so i will only be getting 2-3 gallons of the finished mead.
im not sure if .5# of maple sugar will significantly change the flavor but i do think it will contribute flavor .I might add some maple syrup as well.

have any mead makers on here used any of these sugars before?

So i have decided on only the date and maple syrup added to the mead along with actual coconut instead of coconut sugar.
Rice syrup solids/ Belgian candy sugar will go in the stout with the lactose.
no agave.

so forget the coconut sugar.Its just sugar from the sap of the flowers it has no flavor and will contribute nothing more then cane sugar.
but i after searching for coconut water extract online i came across coconut water powder.LOL , gotta love the world we live in.

Back