Awesome Time Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slackerlack

Reaction score
This is my six tap kegerator I am working on. Currently I have four regulators outside, expandable to six or more. I also built a tank holder on the outside at the bottom. I can add six more taps to the front if I want and more regulators. This freezer will hold twelve kegs.

Any thoughts on the gas line? Should I drill a hole for each line or one big one and seal the gaps with foam?

IMG_20120409_004838.jpg

Any chance we could get some pictures from inside your rig? I'm in the market for a keezer and have yet to consider a standup unit

I like the idea of a hole for each. That's what we did. I think its easier to keep track of which line is which that way and if we we needed to replace one it would be a lot simpler.

Any chance we could get some pictures from inside your rig? I'm in the market for a keezer and have yet to consider a standup unit

Nothing really going on inside just yet. I have enough room for 6 on bottom and 6 on top. I have the bolts holding the tank case coming through inside the bottom of the freezer. I am still debating on one big hole or several small holes. And I am trying to measure out gas line length.

IMG_20120409_111906.jpg

IMG_20120409_112001.jpg

IMG_20120409_112011.jpg

While you can add more regulators, you probably don't have to - I have one regulator going to 4 tanks (build a manifold) - the advantage to the regulators is that you can set each pressure individually, but how many different pressures do you need?

You can't put one big hole and be VERY CAREFUL drilling any holes in the side, if you used screws to mount the regulators and didn't hit a line you were very lucky.

The cooling lines are usually 1" - 1.5" apart and they are right against the outer skin. I thought I was being smart by drilling a .0125" pilot hole, I hit a line and killed my fridge.

You need to drill from the inside, remove the insulation and find the lines before drilling.

Hang Glider said:
While you can add more regulators, you probably don't have to - I have one regulator going to 4 tanks (build a manifold) - the advantage to the regulators is that you can set each pressure individually, but how many different pressures do you need?

How many different types of beers do you want to properly serve at once?

Each style has a different volume of CO2. In order to maintain a volume properly, you need to set the pressure accordingly.

Once carbed, you'll change the CO2 volume if you adjust the pressure to serve. Balancing your draft system is in the beer line, not the regulator.

It just depends on how particular you are. Do you want your Imperial stout to have the same head as your Triple IPA?

You can't put one big hole and be VERY CAREFUL drilling any holes in the side, if you used screws to mount the regulators and didn't hit a line you were very lucky.

The cooling lines are usually 1" - 1.5" apart and they are right against the outer skin. I thought I was being smart by drilling a .0125" pilot hole, I hit a line and killed my fridge.

You need to drill from the inside, remove the insulation and find the lines before drilling.

I'd have to disagree with this. We've never had probelems before because (at least from my experience) the coils usually seem to only run through the back wall.

Well, I may have hit a coolant line when mounting the regulator. I guess I should turn it on and see if it works before drilling holes for the gas lines. As far as the regulators go, I want one for each keg, so i will have the option of setting each keg to a different pressure.

Fantastic!

If it's me, I would never put more than three or four kegs on at home at once. Any more than that and it'll take weeks before you kick them, which gives the bacteria a long time to crawl up your lines and infect the kegs. When I get a backup in the pipeline I just bottle the extra, or sour it in the basement, or just keep the kegs on ice until it's time.

Fantastic!

If it's me, I would never put more than three or four kegs on at home at once. Any more than that and it'll take weeks before you kick them, which gives the bacteria a long time to crawl up your lines and infect the kegs. When I get a backup in the pipeline I just bottle the extra, or sour it in the basement, or just keep the kegs on ice until it's time.

As long as you practice good sanitation, clean your lines regularly, and spritz your faucets with star-san when you're done drinking...this shouldnt be a problem. I've had kegs on for months at a time without them spoiling.

I'd drill 1 small hole and mount the regulators inside the Fridge. Here is a few pics of what I did.
IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

As you can see I used some brass pipe with 2 - 90* elbows w/ 3/8" flare ends to make a bulkhead through the fridge wall. Then used some high pressure hose to connect from the CO2 tank to the bulkhead and from the bulkhead to the regulators.

My personal opinion is a neater cleaner install and a lot easier to make sure the fridge remains sealed and keeps the cold air in.

As for the high pressure line, I got the blue one from a friend with his tank, but I found it online for around $70 and it's 6' long. I thought that was a bit pricey so I went to my local hardware shop that make hydraulic lines for tractors and had a line made up (all new line and fittings so it clean and free of oils etc.) with 3/8" flare fittings on each end and only cost $20. (note: you'll see on the inside picture I had a regular piece of rubber hose with fittings mocked into place to get the right length and fit before having a custom line made)

Update:

I did not puncture a gas line and everything is working great. Slowly building up my beers on tap. 3 of 6 filled.

IMG_20120421_142531.jpg

IMG_20120418_122030.jpg

Back