Aw crap - not enough bottle caps! And no LHBS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toupee

Reaction score
Heya,

So, I'm bottling some Apfelwein, and I'm just realizing that I am short about 30 caps. ****! Before I bite the bullet and settle on some flat apple goodness, does anyone know of any common stores that might sell bottle caps? The only LHBS in my area isn't open, and I probably won't have a chance to get there for the next few days, anyway.

Any ideas?

No, that'd be awesome though.

I did just try the only local brewery (Otto's Pub & Brewery, State College, PA) but unfortunately the brewery is closed and the guy on the phone didn't know about that.

22 oz pepsi / coke bottles work great. I know my dad is almost exclusively using those these days.

The solution I chose might entitle me to write a book called "Worst Homebrew Practices: Things you probably shouldn't do in a pinch".

h5vSKcm.jpg

I'm confused. You bought a handful of really good commercial beer to make yourself feel better about having to pour out half of your homebrew?

Apfelwein doesn't actually have to be carbonated so you could have gotten away with plastic pop bottles as well. In fact, I use a plastic pop bottle to check carbonation.

Anyway, I'm curious what you did. Did you carefully pry off caps and reuse them? I would wax them too to ensure a good seal.

Interesting experiment, glad it was you and not me, but looks like a good plan!

I probably would've gone with plastic seltzer or other soda bottles if you needed them to hold pressure.

What really caught my eye is that you're in State College area. I'm used to living in the boonies where everyone is a good hour+ away. We should meet up and trade sometime!

i would be interested in how this turns out

I will keep you posted!

What really caught my eye is that you're in State College area. I'm used to living in the boonies where everyone is a good hour+ away. We should meet up and trade sometime!

Yes sir! Cool! Are you in State College, or somewhere surrounding? Feel free to send me a PM.

I would wax them too to ensure a good seal.

I'm pretty sure that wax wouldn't do anything to ensure a good seal. It might be useful somehow in detecting when you have a bad cap, but you'd also find that out once you poured it into the glass and had no carb.

Back