Avantco 3500wat outlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brads006

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I know that this is not the ideal way to wire the appliance. No one should attempt this at home.

Now I know ideally I would pay a electrician to install a 20amp 240v outlet for this unit. But I rent and plan to for a while so that wont work. Also I cant get my 5 gal boils to temp on my stove.

Now I do have a 3 wire 50amp 240v outlet I can use.

My plan is go to a plug that is wired into a 50amp gfic panel. Then from that go to a 20amp fuse box. Then out of that the 20amp 240v receptacle. Using appropriate guage wire for it all of course. Anyone see an issue here?

The reason I want a gfic is two fold. In case of water. And in case any of the metal breaker boxes become hot (not temp, I mean electrified)

The only item that would be plugged into the outlet that uses that circut is the appliance. When not it use it will be unplugged.

You want to take a Spa Panel with 50A GFCI breaker and plug it into a 20A 240v breaker?

Yes it will work, it's commonly done to gain GFCI protection.

Lucky you! You'll love it. And you can always hook up a 2nd one...

Although it sounds safer, I'm not sure that 20A fusebox is even needed, as long as all wiring to the receptacle is direct, covered, short, and at least 12Ga.

Wire up a simple short cable with a male 50amp 240 volt plug on one end and female 20amp 240 volt on the other using 12 gauge wire.

The breaker is there to protect your house wiring, not your appliance, otherwise you wouldn't be allowed to plug a lamp with 18 gauge wire into a 20 amp outlet.

Induction plates do not require GFCI.

Wire up a simple short cable with a male 50amp 240 volt plug on one end and female 20amp 240 volt on the other using 12 gauge wire.

The breaker is there to protect your house wiring, not your appliance, otherwise you wouldn't be allowed to plug a lamp with 18 gauge wire into a 20 amp outlet.

Induction plates do not require GFCI.

That's way simpler. And indeed, GFCI is not needed unless your IC3500 risks to get flooded.

Im concerned that if the device was to draw more than 20amps for whatever reason it would cause the cable to possible catch fire. Is this not a risk?

The IC3500 is internally fused.

If something runs amok and it wants more than the fuse can handle, the fuse blows. Replacing that fuse will require some effort and a soldering iron, it's not "easily" replaceable.

No GFCI needed for the IC3500, but I would recommend a 20A 240VAC breaker before outlet to protect your line/source.

Back