Automated temperature controller + logger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarrettVD

Reaction score
Not sure if this should go in Automated Brewing or DIY projects :drunk: Mods feel free to move this thread!

I've been working on a little temperature controller to make resting at specific temperatures during mashing more accurate, and so I've put together a little automated temperature controller device using an ATmega328p AVR chip and an DS18B20 thermometer chip. The thermometer probe connects to the device via an XLR connector. The whole thing ain't super pretty to look at right now, but it works. Going to try to make a smaller form-factor soon.

It communicates with my laptop via USB, where I can program new temperatures or rest/boil durations, and read the current temperature. Also has built-in logging of time/current step/current temp so I'm able to see how close I got to the target temperature.

What's next?
  • I want to be able to drop the temperature quicker than it currently does, so I'm going to connect my wort chiller via a motorized ball valve, unless there's a better way.
  • Put a screen displaying current step/current temp/target temp etc. on the device
  • Attach SD card so logs will be generated on that (not enough eeprom on the AVR chip for logs)

Just thought I'd share to see if anyone had some ideas for features and such! I imagine I could make a few more of these if other fellow brewers would find it useful:p

temperature.png

IMG_3041.JPG

IMG_3035.JPG

IMG_3039.JPG

IMG_2892.JPG

Last edited:
Back