Automated Mash Stir Arm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourSwitch

Reaction score
Okok so i know theres probably a few of these around on the forum.... i think... Either way it was kind of a fun build so i thought over the next couple days id put up a few pics from start to end on this thing and show ya how i went about it!

Matt

Ok so the first step was to open my brand new Worm gear motor and clean out all that NASTY grease that i don't want to get into my grains! Next up is to mount it inside an enclosure so as to not get the motor wet during operation, and also to prevent galvanic corrosion during the lifetime of the unit!

dirty gearbox.jpg

Clean Gearbox.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

Ok so the first step was to open my brand new Worm gear motor and clean out all that NASTY grease that i don't want to get into my grains! Next up is to mount it inside an enclosure so as to not get the motor wet during operation, and also to prevent galvanic corrosion during the lifetime of the unit!

You really got those gears clean, didn't you... Me thinks all that NASTY grease has a purpose though.
Poor little worm gear drive...

Thinking the same.

How would that grease end up in your mash when it's in a closed housing?

Haha Indeed it does have a purpose:) the issue with THAT grease is just that when its warmed up it loses viscosity and has a tendency to seep through the drive bearing (which is floating the drive shaft on..... well..... that nasty grease) haha So as a makeshift remedy to the solution i contacted a friend who is a refrigeration mechanic since he has a few tubes of that nice "food safe" machine grease that DQ and most restaurants use! ....i guess i should have written that above..... oh well! good catch!

Moving on from the motor being mounted in the enclosure, i needed to Wire my new 120VAC to 12VDC Converter! [Ugly enclosure i know haha, She may not be a beauty contest winner... but she makes pretty good beer when it needs to]

Then Wire in the door switches for each 12VDC circuit, and wire those to the DC output jacks on the bottom of the enclosure! ...Nothing too crazy but i definitely got some good time in with the ol soldering iron haha!

With that done i needed to solder the motor leads to the DC jack in the motor housing.

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

So.... After most of the wiring was complete, i was off to drill a hole in my brand new 1"x5.5"x1" x19"long u channel i just picked up from the local sheet metal shop (stainless of course, though i suspect its 200 series, maybe not 316).

After the hole is drilled i got mount the motor tight so i don't just flop around in there (not sure if the pic shows the 2 bolts on each flange of the motor housing)

then to dry fit some 1"x1"x17" angle onto the driven shaft to act as agitators, (i threw away the rotisserie forks as it would be just too much of a pain to weld agitators onto them haha)

I think the next picture has the brewery with a motor dry fit on top of the mash tun (man i wish i could see which order they put those in... this post may have a few edits if I'm all out of order)

and lastly the new driven rod with agitators welded to the rod! all stainless and dishwasher safe haha

more to follow

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

Ok... so heres the funny part...

as soon as i went to wet test the new stir rig... it broke!! almost IMMEDIATELY it broke!! .....aaand..... I, Learned something very important....

If you are attaching a high torque motor, to a device that is going to pose a fair bit of resistance, NEVER... i repeat NEVER use a coupler with a spring cut into it! ...EVER!!!!

though it was really cheap on eBay/amazon that one was a bad life choice... it didn't harm anything, but the motor turned and the driven agitators didn't turn as much.... and then the spring just went pop.

SO..... with that embarrassing story out of the way i ordered my brand new solid coupler

More to follow

So here is a quick video of the unit running on a mash, I think this one was the Chai Tea Brown Ale!

https://youtu.be/EE6q5YGmuRo

So This brew was with 45 minutes of a stirred mash, then finishing mash with 15m of vorlauf to clear the wort. the big question is if any bad flavour developed as a result of the constant stirring,

....i dunno! short pour day is coming up on saturday here... I'll report back soon:)

So I kegged everything today, had a short pour of each 3 yeasts used and all 3 were very drinkable! I was worried that the agitation would push more tannins or something into the finished product but as far as I can tell it turned out great! With a few extra points on my efficiency I might add!

I think now would be a good time to declare the agitated mash a win! But let me know what you guys think, if there's any way to improve the system or process let me know:)

Matt

Even though I can't really tell how thoroughly the bed is being stirred it's still fascinating.
It appears you were having trouble keeping the grain bed flooded, but I'm not sure how much that matters when the bed is being churned.

The presumptive alternative to bed agitation is wort recirculation, both trying to achieve the same ends.
It's evident the masses go with recirculation - perhaps as it's the simpler to implement - so I'm curious if you had tried that and thought agitation might be a superior approach...

Cheers! :mug:

Even though I can't really tell how thoroughly the bed is being stirred it's still fascinating.
It appears you were having trouble keeping the grain bed flooded, but I'm not sure how much that matters when the bed is being churned.

The presumptive alternative to bed agitation is wort recirculation, both trying to achieve the same ends.
It's evident the masses go with recirculation - perhaps as it's the simpler to implement - so I'm curious if you had tried that and thought agitation might be a superior approach...

Cheers! :mug:

Thanks for the good comments Day Trippr! it is true i mashed a touch dry, i had to install a new false bottom that has almost a gallon and a half dead space at kettle bottom to float the grain bed and provide a flat surface to prevent my agitator from binding.... i just may have forgotten to add that extra bit from the HLT to make up for it....

But doing things like this are always an experiment, i was fully prepared to throw the thing in the garbage after one brew if it wrecked the batch too haha!

I will say on your comment that i DID do recirculated mash first (before a stir arm was even an inkling of a thought), and though it was good, and i did get great efficiency on it... i did find some temperature stratification in the mash tun though. Maybe its just my nature or something but it got me thinking of the easiest way to eliminate that... and voila... a stir arm! and with a recirculated stir mash, i had Zero stratification, and a higher mash efficiency than just recirculation!

I guess the root of the question still remains is the stir arm worth the trouble for the few extra efficiency points and a little less deviation from setpoint in the mash? that may be down to the brewer, My good buddy John uses a simple propane setup banjo burner, and turns out awesome beer!

......but if you do wanna go the extra mile.... a stir arm is a good way to go!

Ill try and put up some of the things i would do to build a better design on the idea in the next little bit, (and next few brews as i run into any issues haha)

First thing i would do is put a PWM motor speed controller on the motor leads so i can adjust how vigorous the stir is! may not be an important feature, but depending on how thick the mash is it might be a big deal for some people!

Maybe with a few extra Ideas from people in here by the time i build V 2.0 the thing will be pro engineered!

Nice build. I've also helped a friend build one from a windshield wiper motor. Worked pretty well but the efficiency differences wasn't significant enough for him.

The challenge for me wasn't efficiency, it was using a heating element in the mash. No big advantage to that either. Just wanted to see if it was possible to do without scorching.

The challenge for me wasn't efficiency, it was using a heating element in the mash. No big advantage to that either. Just wanted to see if it was possible to do without scorching.

Interesting idea, I do love the design of that stir arm, much better than mine! If you don't mind I may try to adopt the steel rod spiral design for version two?

Do you have speed control on that motor? I would worry 30 rpm would kick some gains up a bit! Let me know!

And how did the direct heated mash work out?

No speed control. The idea is to "kick some grains up" and the spiral does this by drawing them from the bottom to the top. The thin stir rods (1/4" diameter) keep the mash in motion without any aeration. My earlier versions used something more like a paddle, but this is the one I stuck with.

The direct heat works well. I mash in low and bring the temperature up to my sacc rest. I have a router speed control on the 1650W element. If I get too aggressive trying to bring the temperature up on a thick mash, it will scorch, but it's not a problem once familiar with the system.

No speed control. The idea is to "kick some grains up" and the spiral does this by drawing them from the bottom to the top. The thin stir rods (1/4" diameter) keep the mash in motion without any aeration. My earlier versions used something more like a paddle, but this is the one I stuck with.

The direct heat works well. I mash in low and bring the temperature up to my sacc rest. I have a router speed control on the 1650W element. If I get too aggressive trying to bring the temperature up on a thick mash, it will scorch, but it's not a problem once familiar with the system.

Any interest in building another mash rake? What would you charge?

Back