Autolysis after 24 hours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

so5724x

Reaction score
Hi,

I started brewing the Plinian Legacy from northern brewer,a double IPA, two days ago.

After 24 hours the fermentation got going pretty heavily and it has been loudly bubbling ever since.

But I notice an interesting smell coming from the fermenter that I would not quite say smells like beer.

Started reading about Autolysis and how it smells like burned rubber, and i feel like it might kind of smell like that. Not too pungent, but definitely a hint there.

Am I just paranoid or do I have a problem my hands? Can Autolysis or something else be happening already?

Please let me know!

Sounds like healthy fermentation to me. Just let it do its thing for a few weeks.

Yeah, sounds like paranoia to me. Let the yeast run their course. I've had a lot of funky smells emanate from fermenting carboys, and they've all cleared up after awhile.

You aren't gonna get the auto lysis "smell" during fermentation. Just be patient.

I'm surprised you can smell anything other than the tons of hops in that recipe / co2 being produced by your yeast

Hi all, thanks,I think it is just massive amounts of co2, if you can smell that. Def not sulphur. Water is fine. Granted I don't filter it but I drink it all the time

Hi all, thanks,I think it is just massive amounts of co2, if you can smell that. Def not sulphur. Water is fine. Granted I don't filter it but I drink it all the time

The threshold for chlorophenol creation is well below the taste/smell threshold of chlorine/chloramine in the water. If you're using a public water supply and you aren't actively removing it, you've probably got one or the other, probably even both, even if you don't notice it. Either run your water slowly thorugh active carbon filter, or hit it with campden tablets at 1 tablet per 20 gallons water (that's pretreating water, not batch size, so you'd use anywhere from a quarter to a half tab for the 5-10 gallons water you use per 5 gallon batch depending on your setup).

Back