Auto Siphon Use Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadeucsb

Reaction score
When I tried my Auto Siphon on my first batch out of the primary, I had some issues getting the siphon to work and had to use it as a pump (continually moving the siphon).

Tried all sorts of variations in heights, submersions, etc and still no go...had to pump it.

Any thoughts/help? What am i doing wrong?

basic auto siphon like this:
mini-auto-siphon.jpg

just be sure the container you are siphoning into is lower than the one you are siphoning from and that the tube is long enough to keep it that way throughout the entire transfer.. just pump it a couple times and it should take care of it all for you.. if you did that and it still doesn't work maybe there is something wrong with your siphon not keeping the suction going..

I only do one gallon batches so far, and I've been told that's part of my problem... But i've learned that if I use rapid small pumps of 2-3 inches to get a flow going I can stop and it will continue to flow. I was not able to do that using long strokes. You also want to make sure your hose to cane connection is tight and secure.

When I tried my Auto Siphon on my first batch out of the primary, I had some issues getting the siphon to work and had to use it as a pump (continually moving the siphon).

Tried all sorts of variations in heights, submersions, etc and still no go...had to pump it.

Any thoughts/help? What am i doing wrong?

basic auto siphon like this:
mini-auto-siphon.jpg

I have the same auto siphon. The only thing I can think it would be is a poor seal either on your tubing or the rubber gasket inside of the siphon itself. Try it with just water in a bucket without any tubing to see if it works.

Make sure you are using 5/16" tubing if you have the 3/8 version. While the larger 3/8 tubing fits much easier over the auto siphon, it will draw in air and kill your siphon.

Ever see bubbles at the very tip of the siphon top?

Make sure you are using 5/16" tubing if you have the 3/8 version. While the larger 3/8 tubing fits much easier over the auto siphon, it will draw in air and kill your siphon.

Ever see bubbles at the very tip of the siphon top?

that could be it...it may also be the plunger seal not getting a perfect seal as I want to say I remember being able to hear it leak....I will try water and no hose to verify which is the problem...

non issue as they are cheap to replace, but wanted to be sure I was using it right be for I grabbed a new one.

I have owned 2 of those and the seals got deformed and they were useless at that point. If you keep pumping it to get the flow going just seems like your pumping oxygen in your beer which is not a good thing. What container are you using to ferment your beer in?

I have owned 2 of those and the seals got deformed and they were useless at that point. If you keep pumping it to get the flow going just seems like your pumping oxygen in your beer which is not a good thing. What container are you using to ferment your beer in?

I'm using a 6g glass carboy. If I can't get it working on a bucket of water, I will grab a new one before my current batch is done.

I'm using a 6g glass carboy. If I can't get it working on a bucket of water, I will grab a new one before my current batch is done.

If your using a car boy and have a 2 hole cap just push a racking cane through the center tube, blow in the other tube, and a siphon is started...

dstranger99 said:
If your using a car boy and have a 2 hole cap just push a racking cane through the center tube, blow in the other tube, and a siphon is started...

Cool. I do use that cap style. Racking cane down into the liquid and another tube through the other hole but not into the liquid to blow into?

If you have the tip below the surface of the liquid, get a siphon started it should continue unless the level goes below the tip.

With that in mind, and the end is in the beer, the only ways a siphon would stop is an air leak at the tubing or the level of the beer in the bottling bucket raises above the bottom tip of the autosiphon.

kh54s10 said:
If you have the tip below the surface of the liquid, get a siphon started it should continue unless the level goes below the tip.

With that in mind, and the end is in the beer, the only ways a siphon would stop is an air leak at the tubing or the level of the beer in the bottling bucket raises above the bottom tip of the autosiphon.

Yea I still plan to mess with the siphon minus any tubing with a bucket of water to see if I can isolate the issue to the plunger seal. If that's the case, I'll grab a new plunger. Good to have a backup method with the 2 tubes in the cap though.

Thx all

Yea I still plan to mess with the siphon minus any tubing with a bucket of water to see if I can isolate the issue to the plunger seal. If that's the case, I'll grab a new plunger. Good to have a backup method with the 2 tubes in the cap though.

Thx all

I may be paranoid but I don't want to be blowing onto my beer. My breath is not that bad (I think) but I'm sure there are a lot of germs!

I saw another thread that uses a cane and tubing only. Fill the tube with sanitizing solution, put the cane in the beer, start the flow into a jar until the sanitizer is out then continue racking.

Use a turkey baster to put some beer on the other side of the plunger. It will seal it and won't suck in oxygen.

I may be paranoid but I don't want to be blowing onto my beer. My breath is not that bad (I think) but I'm sure there are a lot of germs!

I saw another thread that uses a cane and tubing only. Fill the tube with sanitizing solution, put the cane in the beer, start the flow into a jar until the sanitizer is out then continue racking.

I have used the "blow into the second port to pressurize and start the siphon" method for over 3 years now. I have also used the "suck on the end of the tube to start a siphon method" for just as long when transferring beer (no gargling with vodka nonsense). Fermented beer contains alcohol which tends to kill the bad microbes.....it's difficult to infect fermented beer. If you're worried about your breath infecting your beer I would suggest RDWHAHB.

Back