Authentic Bavarian Hefeweissen Yeast Strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lexstarwalker

Reaction score
I'm going to be making a Bavarian Hefeweissen. Now I know that they don't all taste exactly the same, or use the same yeast strains.

What I'm aiming for is a flavor profile similar to Spaten's Franziskaner Naturtrub, which has a nice blend of banana and clove tastes. Most of the other German Hefs I've had have the banana flavor, but not the clove.

I've harvested Franziskaner yeast for the Speisse, but I'm wanting to use either Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan) or Wyeast 3638 (Bavarian Hefeweissen) for primary fermentation.

Can any of you who've used both these yeasts describe their flavor profiles? Which do you think has more of the blend of banana and clove that I'm looking for?

Thanks!

I'm going to be making a Bavarian Hefeweissen. Now I know that they don't all taste exactly the same, or use the same yeast strains.

What I'm aiming for is a flavor profile similar to Spaten's Franziskaner Naturtrub, which has a nice blend of banana and clove tastes. Most of the other German Hefs I've had have the banana flavor, but not the clove.

I've harvested Franziskaner yeast for the Speisse, but I'm wanting to use either Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan) or Wyeast 3638 (Bavarian Hefeweissen) for primary fermentation.

Can any of you who've used both these yeasts describe their flavor profiles? Which do you think has more of the blend of banana and clove that I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Its a matter of preference, not objectivity. Both will work.

Latest posts

Back