Austin Homebrew Clones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefftravis17

Reaction score
Hello,

Just became aware of the kits Austin Home Supply seems to be noted for. Was wondering how accurate people who have used their clone kits feel they are. Thanks

Some of the clones can be hit or miss on being close to the original. I have ordered and made about 12 of thier kits and all have been really good. At the end of the day your going to have really good beer.

I've made several clone kits from AHS. I'd say they range from being fairly similar to the original to being dead nuts on. The Dead Guy clone I made recently could not be distinguished in a blind taste test from Rouges own beer. Its worth noting that even the ones that have been less close to the commercial beer have still been very good.

I just received my first all grain kit (New Belgium Belgium Trippel). Brewing tomorrow. I'll let you know in about six weeks how close it is...

Hello,

Just became aware of the kits Austin Home Supply seems to be noted for. Was wondering how accurate people who have used their clone kits feel they are. Thanks

Im just finishing up a Blue Moon clone from AHBS... In the end I think it will be good beer, but not the same as a commercial blue moon. I''l revisit in 3 weeks (bottle conditioning)

The Fat Tire clone from AHS seems to be pretty close to my taste buds.

Keep in mind factors beyond the ingredients themselves may affect how close your clone beer comes to tasting like the commercial version; i.e., your specific process, conditions, level of control, etc.

I've never had the original Pliny The Elder, but their clone is awesome. I have their Stone IPA clone I'll be brewing soon. I'll be able to put it up against the original and do some side by side comparison.

Appreciate the feedback. The 3Floyds Zombie Dust was the clone that got my attention. I have tried a couple of clone recipes posted on HBT and Beersmith, but while good, haven't had quite that spark. Both recipe authors for those I think noted that they had not actually tried ZD, just built the recipe from reading about the brew.

Look forward to hearing updates on some of the ones listed above.

Latest posts

Back