Auberins temperature control question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Liam-

Reaction score
I bought a TD100A temperature controller (http://tiny.cc/nbj5ax) and decided to experiment with it in my wine cooler. I put about 4 gallons of water in my BB carboy and taped the sensor to the side under some bubble warp and set the controller to 67F. I left it for a few hours and decided to take a cup of water out and test the temp with another thermometer - It was reading 62F. So obviously if this had been an ale in there, it would've been too cold. Is there something that I'm doing wrong? Does anyone else have one of these controllers?

I presume the controller is in charge of the fridge or whatever box you are storing the carboy in. A couple of hours may not be enough time for temperatures to stabilize, give it 24 hours and check it. Better yet, calibrate the thermometers and temperature probe of the unit. I usually make an ice slurry of crushed ice and a tiny bit of water then stick my thermometer into the slurry and take a reading, it should be very, very close to 32F (0C), within .5 degrees. Do the same for the temperature probe of the controller, it should also be reading 32F (0C). If it's off by a degree or two, you may need to adjust your temp. setting to accommodate or if the controller has an adjustment you can set it.

Could also be that the temp of the outside of the carboy is not equal to the liquid inside the carboy. I agree with TennBrewer too, the liquids likely didn't have enough time to fully come into equilibrium with each other.

I bought a TD100A temperature controller (http://tiny.cc/nbj5ax) and decided to experiment with it in my wine cooler. I put about 4 gallons of water in my BB carboy and taped the sensor to the side under some bubble warp and set the controller to 67F. I left it for a few hours and decided to take a cup of water out and test the temp with another thermometer - It was reading 62F. So obviously if this had been an ale in there, it would've been too cold. Is there something that I'm doing wrong? Does anyone else have one of these controllers?

It also depends on what your water temp was when you started - are you also using a heating device?

Latest posts

Back