Auber SWA-24x1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srice

Reaction score
I'm looking at the Auber SWA-24x1 controller for a RIMS build. The feature that has me interested is the timer mode where the timer counts down a pre-determined time and then kicks off the PID control. This would allow me to setup my mash water the night before and have the system kick on before I get up. In the morning, I can roll out of bed, scratch, head downstairs and dump my grain into the mash tun and start the mash. This would eliminate a sizable chunk of time out of my brew day.

The question I have is can the Auber SWA-24x1 really do this? The website indicates that the timer has 3 modes which interact with the controller and 5 timer modes which are independent. One of the timer modes is described on the website as: "The third mode delay the heating until the time is reached. It starts the timer when powered up. When time is reached, the relay pulls in and heater starts."

When I read the user manual, it describes 3 timer modes which interact with the controller:
1. The timer starts after the temperature reaches set point. When set time
reaches, controller s output stops and timer relay pulls in (turns on). It can be
connected to a buzzer to warn the operator.
2. The timer starts after the temperature reaches set point. When set time
reached, relay pulls in. The controller s output will continue to be on.
3. The timer starts after the temperature reaches set point. When set time
reaches, controller s output stops. Relay pulls in when timer starts and drops
out when it reaches the set time.

All 3 modes start the timer after the temperature reaches the setpoint. No mode is listed where the PID kicks in after the timer expires. Does anybody have experience with this controller? I question the user manual because there is very little difference between mode 1 and 3.

I use this PID, but I use the timer independent of the PID set point. Plus I've connected a button to it so it starts counting down when I press the button and when it alarms I press a button to turn it off. In this mode, when the timer expires it continues to heat. I'll have to go check my settings, but I'm pretty sure it is not able to perform the function you are looking for.

I just heard back from Auber. It seems that the description on their website is wrong. The "start the controller after a prescribed time" mode does not exist. It is possible to kind of do this by running the SSR output through the timer relay and using an independent timer mode, but I was planning on using the timer relay to drive the pump.

Oh well, I'll figure something out. I've got a couple of ideas, but they both add more hardware to the system.

I have the same issue. I was thinking about using a plug in timer to control a contactor that would power the panel. Pretty easy build for a 120V 20A system but a little trickier for a bigger system. I really wish the delayed timer feature worked.

Another idea I had was to get the controller with the ramp/soak feature and just set it to ramp up over 10 hours. At that point though, you might as well just leave your system on anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My plan is to use the timer in an independent mode. Set the timer to turn on the timer/alarm relay at a predetermined time. Use the output of that relay to engage a contactor which supplies power to my pump and the RIMS heater. I have added another switch in parallel with the timer relay so that I can place the control panel in timer mode (switch open) or non-timer mode (switch closed)

To prepare for a brew day, here is my plan for the night before.

1) Fill mash tun with strike water
2) Select non-timer mode
3) prime pump and make sure that all valves are in the correct spot.
4) Set temp on PID controller
5) turn switch to timer mode
6) set timer and walk away

BTW, it looks like Auber has updated the description on the website. I really got after their customer service for posting a very misleading description of the product.

I bought one on the strength of that product description. Burned.
Also, it seems to me the ability to turn on heating after timer has run is an obvious function.
The way the new description reads to me suggests timer functions 1 and 3 are the same. Confusing as heck that Auber product info.

Another benefit of this unit over the typical ones is the ability to display decimal places for F. Realistically all of these are probably the same hardware (or very close) with different firmware. I can't see a reason to not have this be a function to enable.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back