Auber PID (or no-PID) with solenoid valves for glycol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st1l3tto

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

We are building a bar-based brewery, and I really could use some advice, because I do this solely and for the first-time and my head is literally exploding with information :fro:

I need to design a controller for glycol-based chiller system for my FV and brewing heat exchanger.

I will have 3FV + 1BT at first, so I need to control 4 solenoid valves with something. I really want to have separate temperature controllers for each vessel, so I have a question.

If I take this valve (for example), which is 12v DC, what Auber temperature controller do I need?

Do I get it right, that if I take this one, I can directly control the solenoid by the internal 10A relay on it and I will need no other relays\devices?

Is PID scheme suitable for such operation? Or it will power-on and power-off my solenoid constantly until it dies? :tank:

If I'm wrong or I selected the wrong devices, please point me in a right direction. I'm a bit dumb in electrics and I'm really struggling here!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
No you don't want PID function for this. You just need on/off control such as what the STC-1000 will do for you. It's a lot cheaper that way and they have built in relays.

I don't really like the looks of STC-1000 and I want both temperatures to be always visible, and I want to pay extra for it :ban: The question is, will it still work fine or it is technically unacceptable?

I'm dealing with a similar situation. You can check out my thread here. http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=317067#317067

I also don't have any experience with wiring these kind of things, but I think I'm figuring it out. Auber does make a PID for 12 or 24v here. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=132. Make sure you click on the instruction manual link and read it about 15 times (like I did).

The wiring is not as easy as you might expect, or maybe that's just my inexperience talking. Will be posting a wiring diagram on the page I linked to soon. As Bobby said, you need to program the PID to operate in On/ Off mode, not in automatic mode or through a SSR. Solenoids do not like pulse switching. That will also make it so you can't auto-tune the PID, which decreases its efficiency at hitting the right temperature. It will still hit temp fine, it's just harder for it to fine tune using the inherent software.

I was directed to this page for a pre-made STC-1000 package. (STC-1000 + PRO) http://www.boostbysmith.com/stc1000.html It's impressive and I might contact the manufacturer and ask a few questions, but I don't think it's going to work for me since I'm using all 24v components.

Back