attenuation (and FG) question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwic

Reaction score
"Attenuation" is getting the best of me today; thoroughly confusing; having a tough time wrapping my brain around it.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I've tried to sort through all the posts on attenuation for the answer to my question but I can't seem to find one to help me understand.

It's seeming to me that three things have "attenuation": extract, wort, and yeast. Extract and yeast will be labeled with their apparent "attenuation."

When it comes to the apparent "attenuation" of wort, it needs to be calculated: (OG-FG)/(OG-1) x 100. How does one estimate the FG? Say I want to brew an IPA with the OG of 1.66. How do I estimate/calculate what my FG potentially will be?

Once I have the apparent "attenuation" of the wort, how do I synthesize all the numbers I have for "attenuation" from the yeast, wort, and extract to figure out how much of the wort will actually be fermented?

Apologies if the questions are vague/confusing. I'm thoroughly confused on this topic.

Cheers,
JWiC!

Back