Attempting a light IPA with a hint of Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwking

Reaction score
This is really my first attempt at making my own recipe. I know it is really simple but wanted to see if anything stood out as something I should not do. I want a fairly light IPA type beer that is easy drinking and light in color - and just a bit spicy from the rye. I'm not a huge fan of malt taste so I'm hoping this recipe will be light and crisp.

Can you folks who know better let me know if I should change anything?

45% Rahr 2-Row Malt
25% Pilsner (2 Row) Bel
15% Rye Malt (Briess)
15% Wheat, Flaked
.75 oz Warrior boiled 60 min
2 oz Centennial boiled 5 min
2 oz Centennial steep/whirlpool at 170F
3 oz Centennial dry hopped for 7 days (just after active fermentation stops)
Safale US-05 Repitched

I was also going to mast at 150F for 60 mins and batch sparge at 170F.

Any help would be appreciated!

For a light and " light " coloured IPA, you kinda have too many malts. Just use Pilsner and Rye. If you want to taste the rye, 15% will not get you there. I believe you would want at least 30%. I did 50% a couple of times. No spiciness. Rye is not spicy, but understandable why people would think and say that.

70% Pilsner
30% Rye

If you don't like tasting malt, then mash at 147F for 90 minutes and swap 10% of the grain bill with white sugar/dextrose. Will lighten up the body and will definitely let the malt be buried under the hops. And dry hopping - 7 days is way too long. 24 to 72 hours is plenty. Extraction happens in the first 24 hours, so you are not getting much out of leaving the beer longer on the hops.

Don't go wild with the IBUs, if it's light and crisp you're seeking, but at least 40-50 IBUs with the largest number of it coming from a bittering addition. If you don't like bitterness, then maybe the New England approach is the way to go.

Last edited:
I agree with Haze . I've never used rye before so I have know idea about that. You might even think about just 2 row and pilsner and a touch of rye . I use 2 row , Munich and crystal 10 in my IPA. Not sure what your looking for ibu wise but I'm guessing your close to 60.

wheat malt for lighter beers also, in place of some 2row, like 1/2&1/2
Braufessor's neipa thread he actually mentions an offshoot recipe of lighter ipa and it uses wheat malt

So cutting the 2 row with wheat malt ? Example if your using 6# 2row you would change to 3 # then add 3 # wheat malt?

So cutting the 2 row with wheat malt ? Example if your using 6# 2row you would change to 3 # then add 3 # wheat malt?

His hoppy wheat used
43% Rahr 2 Row (4 lbs)
43% Rahr White Wheat (4 lbs)
5.5% Flaked Oats (.5lbs)
5.5% Flaked Barley (.5lbs)
2.5% Cara 20 (.25 lbs)

Thank you for the comments and the help. I think I'll revamp the recipe a little bit and make a RyeIpa and a separate light IPA. After those are done maybe I'll do a combination of the two.

Back