Atlanta/Alpharetta/Birmingham best places to find beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturman35

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m traveling through Atlanta/Alpharetta/Birmingham and was wondering best places to find local craft beer?

If you have time while in Alpharetta, try to find Jekyll Brewing. Their Pineapple Habenero Hop Dang Diggity is awesome.

The Kroger off Windward Parkway actually has (or at least had last time I was there) a decent selection of local'ish beer.

If you get to "downtown" Alpharetta, Currahee Brewing has some decent beers and the BBQ place next door is good too.

I used to end up there twice a year for work and never got much of a chance to venture out from right around where we were, but there's some good beer to be had in Alpharetta.

Taco Mac has a pretty vast selection of local and nonlocal beers too, and decent food.

I've not had a chance to hit any of the breweries in Birmingham, but I have had quite a few of their beers.

The current standouts for me are "Judge Juicy" from Ghost Train, and the IPA from Good People. Trim Tab from Birmingham has some good stuff. The couple of things I've gotten from Avondale I remember being decent. "Naked Pig" from Back Forty is ok.

If you see anything from Yellowhammer in Huntsville, Cheatin Heart IPA, Belgian White, and T-Minus are all pretty tasty.

Last edited:
Some random thoughts. Wild Leap, their Alpha Abstraction Double IPA. Sweetwater 420 G13, somewhat gimmicky, but actually quite good. Steady Hand Flower Business Double IPA. Creature Comforts Automatic and Cosmik Debris (in season). Southern Brewing Company's Hobnail IPA. All very good beers, but I wouldn't call them exceptional, worth getting if you see them. Atlanta area at one time (but maybe not now?) was one of a few places outside Michigan where you could get Old Nation beer, their M-43, Boss Tweed, and Brut IPAs I have seen around and you will regret not having bought every single one of them after the first sip.

In Atlanta, check out Monday Night Brewing. They're making some pretty good beers and their tap rooms are pretty cool.

If you get over to the Decatur area, go to Brick Store Pub. HUGE beer cellar and a Belgian bar upstairs.

Hop City or Total Wine for bottles/cans.

Spent $120 in the Total Wine store in Alpharetta! I have never seen a grocery store with just Wine/Beer/Whiskey. Took me almost an hour to sort through and grab my beer.

My only gripe was the poor organization of beer styles mixed in together all over the place.

Spent $120 in the Total Wine store in Alpharetta! I have never seen a grocery store with just Wine/Beer/Whiskey. Took me almost an hour to sort through and grab my beer.

My only gripe was the poor organization of beer styles mixed in together all over the place.

Next time your in California, Bevmo, Total Wine and pretty much every corner liquor store is like that. Right down to the poor organization..although Bevmo is usually pretty decent in that dept.

As far as Birmingham goes:
From Avondale I like Miss Fancy's Belgian triple, Spring Street Saison, and Vanillaphant porter (if you are in the mood for a desert beer).
I'm not much of a fan of Good People, but if you like IPAs, their Snake Handler is fun to play around with.
About 25 miles south of town is Interstellar, which is unique in that all of their beers are ginger based rather than malted barley based. Some folks love it.
I don't really have any experience with the other local breweries.

Try Mitch Steele's new brewery in Atlanta, New Realm. I haven't been yet but anything he makes has to be good.

Nobody Move Akademia Brewing
IMG_6719.JPG

Wild Leap Chance Brewing
58622025059__55297FF4-9C84-434E-8374-C650DE3B22DC.JPG

Cadence Belgium Dubbel
IMG_6724.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back