At what point can I switch from airlock to cap when aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett_Bellmore

Me and my better half.
Reaction score
I've got two gallon fermenters going on the table in our breakfast nook, and at some point my wife is going to get restive about that. Beyond that, I'm concerned about the light exposure, and potential for being bumped by a hyperactive nine year old.

But the only feasible place I've found to put them, a shelf in our hall closet, (SC, the garage is right out without buying a fridge, and this house has no basement!) is one inch short of accommodating their height. They'd fit nicely if I put the screw caps on them.

Is there a point where I can be confident of replacing the airlocks with caps? Or should I look into one of the other solutions I've heard of, like a balloon with a pinhole?

Stable FG = no more CO2 production

With a healthy pitch, adequate nutrients, and a reasonable temperature it should be stable within a few weeks most likely... Confirm with hydrometer readings to be safe.

Cheers

There are a couple of other ways to go about this.

Can you fit a blowoff tube instead of airlocks which take up less height?
Or do what I do and add a piece of silicone tubing between the bung/grommet and the airlock so that you can position the airlock where you want it. Tape it to the side of the fermentor or whatever.

My wife solved the problem by suggesting a different closet. More out of the way, (I liked the hall closet because I'm in it every day, I wouldn't forget to check on the fermenters.) I'm going to set a reminder on my phone to look in on the mead periodically, so an airlock doesn't run dry or something.

Long run I need to get that fridge for the garage, but that's a fight I want to hold off on until my wife is drinking mead...

Latest posts

Back