Asked Sierra Nevada Brewing about Torpedo Extra IPA Recipe. Here it is!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The local liquor store sells it for $15 a 12 pack regular price and they run it on sale quite often for $13 and occasionally $12. I have also seen these prices in Fl at total wine.

I love this beer and I was thinking about brewing a clone but with all those hops its about the same price as I can buy it.

Yup, its $12.99 here in FL at Total Wine for a 12 pack, a very tasty deal...

If you have a Costco around with a liquor store, check there. It is $26/case (mix n match) at our Costco liquor stores here - by far the best price around!

I pay $8 a s six pack in sumas wa. I just walk across the border and pick it up. Its always available! Every friday i sip on this beautiful beer! Oh by the way, the clone is amazing! I had a side by side comparisson, its very close, the citra hops really shine in this brew.

Im brewing this next week. My wife picked up the ingredients for me. All I have to do is get home from this trip!

I brewed a tweaked version of this last weekend, though I added a 15 minute addition and FWH of some Crystal & Citra. Can't wait to try it out!

The recommended pitch would probably be 13 grams or so. I'd just pitch 1 sachet

BeerSmith calls for 2 pkgs US-05. Would under pitching be better, or could I have something setup wrong in BeerSmith ?

Just brewed this today. Overshot my gravity by 10 points. To 1.083. Gonna be some high Abv beer! Smelled great and got to test my new homemade sparge arm. Which worked perfectly and cost me only $4.55!

ForumRunner_20120329_161405.jpg

Ok. Im drinking this right now, and at 9.33% Abv you only need a few! It came out really nice. Even with overshooting my gravity and making it high Abv. It almost tastes like stone ruination. Thanks for the recipe!

Bradzukie said:
Just brewed this today. Overshot my gravity by 10 points. To 1.083. Gonna be some high Abv beer! Smelled great and got to test my new homemade sparge arm. Which worked perfectly and cost me only $4.55!

Does it rotate or no? How did you make it?

I just used 3/4" pvc and drilled a bunch of holes in it so it would spray down. It doesn't need to turn the way I drilled the holes.

ForumRunner_20120604_124441.jpg

ForumRunner_20120604_124501.jpg

I've never used europils malt before. What is it? Do they just mean a European pilsner malt? That can't be right

Just brewed this today. Made a couple game-time audibles: I used Wyeast 1764 Rogue PacMan instead of 1056/US-05, just because my HBS had it in stock and I've never used it before. Also, I added 0.5oz of Citra at 10 minutes because I had some lying around and I like Citra. All-grain, BIAB. Underestimated my boil-off a little bit, so I ended up with 5.1 gallons as opposed to the 5.5 gallons I wanted. But, that ended up getting me closer to my target OG of 1.072 (actual was 1.069). Here's my final recipe:

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
11 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 80%
0.75 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 34 60 5.5%
1.5 lb Dry Malt Extract - Light 42 4 10.9%
0.5 lb American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 33 1.8 3.6%
13.75 lb Total

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
1.25 oz Magnum Pellet 12.6 Boil 60 min 57.49
0.5 oz Citra Pellet 14.2 Boil 10 min 9.4
1 oz Crystal Pellet 1.9 Boil 10 min 2.51
1.25 oz Magnum Pellet 12.5 Boil 10 min 20.68
1 oz Citra Pellet 14.2 Dry Hop 10 days
1 oz Crystal Pellet 1.9 Dry Hop 10 days
1 oz Magnum Pellet 12.3 Dry Hop 10 days

Mash in 4.5 gallons at 153F for 60 minutes. Sparged with 3.5 gallons at 170F. Pre-boil volume 6.7 gallons, pre-boil OG 1.052. Post-boil OG 1.069. 9 SRM, 78 IBUs. I'll give it 2-3 weeks at 67F primary, then rack on to the dry hops in secondary for 10 days before bottling. Will post results in a couple months!

Juno, how did this taste/smell when racking from primary to secondary for dry hop? How about when bottling? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect if we decide to brew this recipe. You think it's going to be close to the Sierra Nevada Extra IPA?

Cheers,

Eric

Just had a 'Torpedo' yesterday - nice brew. Gonna have to try out this recipe. Costs $13/6 pack here in Central TN at Wally-world!
Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Back