Ask me anything!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cows don't wear bells, the bells are put on the cows. The bells are used so you know where the cows are if you don't have a clear view, like in the Swiss hills.

Hey all... someone tell me that this will be what I'm looking for. I'm using up wheat that I have (not a huge fan, but coming around). Going to make a wheat APA thing again and call it quits on the wheat for a bit.

So! Here it is, I'm looking for a very slightly/somewhat malty Citrus APAish type thing. Clear as mud?

4.5 gal batch
Est OG 1.055
Est FG 1.015
IBU - ~62

4.6 lbs American 2-Row
3.4 lbs American White Wheat
.75 lbs Crystal 40L

Mash at 152°

.5 oz Magnum (13% AA) @ 60 mins - 29 IBU
.5 oz Centennial (11% AA) @ 30 mins - 17 IBU
.5 oz Centennial (11% AA) @ 15 mins - 11 IBU
.5 oz Cascade (5% AA) @ 15 mins - 6 IBU
.5 oz Cascade (5% AA) Flameout/hopstand
.5 oz Simcoe (13% AA) Flameout/hopstand

1 pkt re-hydrated US-05
Ferment @ 63° for 5 days, raise to ~66° by day 14.

1 oz Centennial - Dry hop 5 days
1 oz Cascade - Dry hop 5 days

Yep, lemme know. Too high on the IBUs?

I really want to walk the line between APA and IPA, but not make it so it's unbalanced.

Hey all... someone tell me that this will be what I'm looking for. I'm using up wheat that I have (not a huge fan, but coming around). Going to make a wheat APA thing again and call it quits on the wheat for a bit.

So! Here it is, I'm looking for a very slightly/somewhat malty Citrus APAish type thing. Clear as mud?

4.5 gal batch
Est OG 1.055
Est FG 1.015
IBU - ~62

4.6 lbs American 2-Row
3.4 lbs American White Wheat
.75 lbs Crystal 40L

Mash at 152°

.5 oz Magnum (13% AA) @ 60 mins - 29 IBU
.5 oz Centennial (11% AA) @ 30 mins - 17 IBU
.5 oz Centennial (11% AA) @ 15 mins - 11 IBU
.5 oz Cascade (5% AA) @ 15 mins - 6 IBU
.5 oz Cascade (5% AA) Flameout/hopstand
.5 oz Simcoe (13% AA) Flameout/hopstand

1 pkt re-hydrated US-05
Ferment @ 63° for 5 days, raise to ~66° by day 14.

1 oz Centennial - Dry hop 5 days
1 oz Cascade - Dry hop 5 days

Yep, lemme know. Too high on the IBUs?

I really want to walk the line between APA and IPA, but not make it so it's unbalanced.

The IBU's do seem a little high, like in IPA territory. IMO those Mandarina Bavaria hops would be delicious in a wheaty APA. But you may be working with items already on hand?

The IBU's do seem a little high, like in IPA territory. IMO those Mandarina Bavaria hops would be delicious in a wheaty APA. But you may be working with items already on hand?

That's a fact, using up leftovers.

Maybe dial back the Magnum to like a 1/4 oz or something to get it ~47 IBU.

Guys, gals... anyone?

What is the best combo of dry-hops for a big citrus punch? I don't want the stone fruit/tropical flavors so much (no citra) but lemon/grapefruit/orange?

Right now I'm thinking:

.5 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Centennial
.5 oz Simcoe

Recipe is up a couple of posts 4.5 g @ 1.052 OG, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/ask-me-anything-508120/index41.html#post6712452

Originally I was thinking Centennial and Cascade, but not sure now.

Any suggestions?

Guys, gals... anyone?

What is the best combo of dry-hops for a big citrus punch? I don't want the stone fruit/tropical flavors so much (no citra) but lemon/grapefruit/orange?

Right now I'm thinking:

.5 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Centennial
.5 oz Simcoe

Recipe is up a couple of posts 4.5 g @ 1.052 OG, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/ask-me-anything-508120/index41.html#post6712452

Originally I was thinking Centennial and Cascade, but not sure now.

Any suggestions?

Have you ripped open a package of simcoe or amarillo? They smell amazing. Very grapefruity. Those two are my vote.

Amarillo and Centennial are one of my standby combinations.

Sorachi Ace is very lemony. Lemondrop hops are a newer variety, so I don't know how easy they'll be to find, but the name is very accurate.

Have you ripped open a package of simcoe or amarillo? They smell amazing. Very grapefruity. Those two are my vote.

Yes, I have sniffed 'em.

Just wanted the easy button.

I'm trying to hit that Odell IPA aroma they've got going on somewhat. Looked at a lot of clone recipes (well, what's out there anyway) and this seems close.

Sometimes I like to crush them up and mix them into an oil to comb through my mustache. You don't truly know your hops until you spend an entire day with them under your nose, ya know?

RE: Dry hopping with Pellets

Anyone had it where the pellets don't break apart and completely cover the surface of the beer in thick green foam?

This has always been the case, but the latest pellets I threw in to my current brew sunk to the bottom instantly. A few bobbed up to the surface, but the rest are nowhere to be found.

There's probably a first time for everything, but I found it weird. Good news is, aroma seems to be where I wanted it.

Any others experience this?

Mine made that weird layer on top before dropping to the bottom. That was an IPA, dry hopped with an ounce of citra.

I am trying to gain knowledge on all things beer. I find one way to learn is to answer questions that others have. That's what this thread is for! Ask any questions you want answered and I'll do my best to provide concise, practical information! I might not be able to answer everyone's questions, or I might not be able to answer any but it will help me see where I am at and how much I have learned and have to learn! So go ahead and ask private messages are okay too!

Have you ever tucked your penis between your legs to find out what you would look like as a woman?

How are the oils in hops beneficial to head retention, but oils from other sources (nuts, chocolate, skin contact) are considered detrimental?

I have a question. So every time I try to make an IPA my hop bitterness has the same tingent taste. I can get awesome aroma from my aroma hops and dry hops but my bitterness qualities always come out tasting the same. I dont know why I can't get complexity from my hops. I'm thinking it might be my water but obviously my boil is wrong. Also does anyone have any good advice for water curing. I'm looking for a cheapish way to get better water profiles for my beer. Let me know!

I have a question. So every time I try to make an IPA my hop bitterness has the same tingent taste. I can get awesome aroma from my aroma hops and dry hops but my bitterness qualities always come out tasting the same. I dont know why I can't get complexity from my hops. I'm thinking it might be my water but obviously my boil is wrong. Also does anyone have any good advice for water curing. I'm looking for a cheapish way to get better water profiles for my beer. Let me know!

Water does sound like the biggest culprit here. I'd suggest trying one batch with 100% RO water bought from those big "water machines" at the grocery store, and adding some gypsum to it.

If you're not checking mash pH or doing anything to your water, often that is the cause of a beer that is ok or even quite good, but not great.

A mash pH of 5.4, sulfate in the 150-250 ppm range, and a nice "clean" ale yeast should make all the difference.

Water does sound like the biggest culprit here. I'd suggest trying one batch with 100% RO water bought from those big "water machines" at the grocery store, and adding some gypsum to it.

If you're not checking mash pH or doing anything to your water, often that is the cause of a beer that is ok or even quite good, but not great.

A mash pH of 5.4, sulfate in the 150-250 ppm range, and a nice "clean" ale yeast should make all the difference.
Do I just need gypsum or would a yeast nutrient also help? I mean the beer is decent but its not where I want it and I think starting to brew with RO would help I just dont know what to add to make it have enough nuitrients for what I need.

Do I just need gypsum or would a yeast nutrient also help? I mean the beer is decent but its not where I want it and I think starting to brew with RO would help I just dont know what to add to make it have enough nuitrients for what I need.

Gypsum is all you need for an IPA as far as minerals go with RO water, but you may need some acid malt or lactic acid to get the pH in the proper range as well.

I have some lactic acid for pH balance but I'll have to buy some gypsum and you can just go to Walmart and pick up RO water?

Also if anyone has any good advice on RO water and Ph balance let me know! I'm looking at getting into more of the water chemistry of things and would like to know of some water profiles for different brews and also how to measure proper ppm within a solution. Any help would be awesome!

Also if anyone has any good advice on RO water and Ph balance let me know! I'm looking at getting into more of the water chemistry of things and would like to know of some water profiles for different brews and also how to measure proper ppm within a solution. Any help would be awesome!

Then I would suggest you post your question in the Brew Science forum.

If for no other reason then to distance yourself from this posting...

Back