Aroma fade quickly after opening the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orionslove

David
Reaction score
I did a little experiment recently on dry hopping, dropping around 0.5-1g of Simcoe to a 330 bottle of beer for 1.5 day, and stored it in the fridge.
When I open the bottle and pour a bit of it to my mug, it gives a pretty good aroma, but it only lasts for about a minute or less, then it disappears.
Then I pour more, and the rest of it doesn't have any aroma at all....

(I haven't primed, so there's no CO2 yet, it's just 'still' beer)

Any idea on what's going on?

It's a SMaSH, Pale Ale with about 3% ABV.

Last edited:
It’s manly because it’s not carbonated yet. Co2 makes the aroma compounds in the beer effervescent. Even though it’s not officially prime, your beer degassed a tad and that’s what you smelt originally

Latest trial:

Dry hopped with 6g/L (4oz per 5 gal) and 8g/L (5.5 oz per 5 gal) Amarillo (fined with gelatin), and carbonate it to 3 units.
When I open it, aroma is nice and sufficient, but it can only last about a minute, then fades away : (

(Comparing to commercially available IPA, the aroma can retain till the end of the can)

Any idea on why it fades quickly? Is it related to the ABV (i think mine is a bit low, around 3%)?

Last edited:
It could be your nose. Scents may be masked by your brain so try covering the glass, walk away for a couple of minutes and then remove the cover and sniff again.

Back