Arkansas black apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I just found some Arkansas Black apples at a roadside stand. I only had enough cash to buy 10lb, so I will not get a lot of juice, maybe 1/2 gal+? I am trying to think of the best way to get something noticebly different out of them. I am thinking about mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with store bought juice. What do you think?

Never had any myself, but what I've heard most say is they're storing apples. Flavor peaks after at least 30 days in storage, not that great right off the tree. Not sure how much that transfers to cider, but I think I'd store them for a while before pressing. Otherwise yeah, unless you can go back to get enough juice for a full gallon, adding store bought juice would probably be your best option.

I would have loved to get 20-30 lbs, but I ran across them on a road trip and just did not have a lot of spare cash. Oh, and they are about 2 1/2 hrs away, so I am not going to run back for more.'

I was hoping to find some specialty apple juice in the stores, I am looking for Gala perhaps. Heard it makes a really nice cider so it would probably go great with the AR blacks.

I bought several bushels of AR Blacks from an orchard last fall and stored them for about 45 days or so. I pressed them at the end of December and got about 6 gallons of juice which I let ferment on its own. The batch was bottled in May. From my experience, and from talking to a local craft cidery, the AR Blacks take plenty of time to develop into a great single varietal cider, especially with a spontaneous ferment. Goldrush are like that as well.

I have a young AR black tree, it should give me some fruit in a couple more years. But I had to get a few apples the other day when I saw these. Just too bad I did not have more cash on hand, so sad the guy did not take plastic.:no:

I’m not sure if they are related but I pressed 3 gallons of Kingston Blacks and it’s too early to determine but the juice was delicious.
I let a half gallon sit out on my counter for a couple of days and then put in fridge to drink. It went from 1.058 to about 1.030.
I keep in my fridge with the cap on loose and occasionally take a drink. It won’t last for more than a couple more days.

How I wish I had enough apples for 2 or 3 gallons. If my little AR black tree goes into production, I will be one happy camper! I plan to make cider that is 75% AR black, and 25% Doglo crab. At least that is the plan. Who knows how the trees will sort out.

Ive never done a cyser, but I make lots of graff. I have 3 gal going right now. I could use it for a light pilsen graff.

Ive never done a cyser, but I make lots of graff. I have 3 gal going right now. I could use it for a light pilsen graff.

Admittedly I've never made a cyser (or mead, for that matter) either but have been wanting to try it. I was just thinking it might be a nice way to highlight the cider while adding some sweet and boosting the ABV...? IDK, I'm two days into my alcohol fasting (I try to not drink M-F for reasons) so I'm not thinking clearly lol.

A pils graff sounds wonderful though. Let us know what you do and how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back