Argh! My winter warmer tastes like BUNG!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkHeDo

Reaction score
So, I bottled my winter warmer tonight after aging on oak chips soaked in Johnny Walker Black for about 16 days. On the first taste, my reaction at first was, "Awesome! The scotch and oak really shine in this!" It was my first time using oak, so I was really excited, especially since I planned on entering this beer in my first competition.

But right behind that terrific oaky scotchy flavor was this overpowering rubber flavor and aroma. It was REPUGNANT. So I had bought a brand new 5-gallon better bottle for a secondary to age the beer on the oak, and my LHBS sold me a new type of rubber bung I had never used before. After I tasted the beer I sniffed the bung (*snicker*) and lo and behold! That is the flavor that has invaded my precious beer.

bung_zpsd0e8a448.jpg

Has anyone used this type of bung pictured here and had a similar experience? Is there any chance this flavor will age out in a month or so in time for submission? I am seriously bummed. I am so careful with sanitation and recipe creation, and had such high hopes for this beer! After 2 years of brewing, this could be my first dumper. :mad:

I doubt it was the stopper, any chance that beer was exposed to light while fermenting/aging? Sounds like mercaptan from hops exposed to UV.

No, it has been stored in my basement utility room the whole time except for when I racked it in the garage.

The bung has a really strong rubber smell, and if the beer was exposed to that for 2 weeks trapped in the fermenter, doesn't it stand to reason it could absorb the odor and affect the flavor?

I doubt it was the stopper, any chance that beer was exposed to light while fermenting/aging? Sounds like mercaptan from hops exposed to UV.

I agree. I seriously dobt it is the stopper.I accidentally pushed a stooper into a full carboy. I just left it in the carboy during the whole fermentation time. Tasted fine.

I'm guessing something other than the stopper or better bottle - those are both food safe and shouldn't impart any flavors.

Would you call the flavor band-aid like? That can be from a couple of things - do you use bleach as a cleaner? Bleach left on your equipment from cleaning can lead to it. What yeast and what temperature did you ferment? Some stressed yeast can do the same thing.

from morebeer.com:

Medicinal

Tastes/Smells Like:
Cough syrup, mouthwash, Band-Aid™, smoke, clove-like (spicy)
Possible Causes:
A variety of different phenols are almost always the cause for medicinal flavors in beer.
Phenols can cause solvent, astringent, plastic and medicinal flavors. Medicinal-tasting
phenols are usually brought out during mashing and/or sparging and are caused by
incorrect pH levels, water amounts and temperatures. Using chlorine or iodine-based
sanitizers improperly can bring out Chlorophenols. Yeast also produces phenols, and
a clove-like characteristic is deliberate in some ale, especially Hefeweizen and other
wheat beers.
How to Avoid:
Follow proper mashing and sparging techniques and always follow the specific
directions for different sanitizers. Taking the same precautions to avoid Chlorophenols
and astringency should help to wipe out the chances of medicinal flavors. Always use
the proper yeast for the style of beer being brewed.

It is not the rubber stopper. I have used that kind for every batch I have made except 2, one in a bucket and one in a 3 gallon water bottle that has a screw on lid modified for an airlock. So, about 30 batches.

Yeast autolysis produces a rubbery stench. Did you leave in primary for too long before racking to secondary?

Yeast autolysis produces a rubbery stench. Did you leave in primary for too long before racking to secondary?

That would need to be a very long time. People here have left their beers in primary for 6 months and sometimes a year with no problems. Most here don't even use a secondary unless making additions.

How long has the winter warmer been aging. I made one last December hoping to enjoy some in late February. It was harsh so I tried another one in April and it was getting better. Then in August, even better. In November they were getting quite good so the batch I made for last winter will warm me this winter.

I'm not sure about the rubbery taste though. That might go away or it might not age well.

I used 2 smack packs of the Wyeast Scottish ale yeast; the fermentation temp was around 65-70. I understand this is a little high for that yeast, but I didn't expect an off-flavor quite this overwhelming. I don't use bleach for sanitation, only starsan. My water temperature during the mash went under 150, so a little lower than I wanted for this style of beer. I used spring water for the mash, so I shouldnt think pH issues would be the problem? I probably need to pay more attention to water quality though.

I did a 14-day primary fermentation, followed by 16-day secondary on oak chips soaked in johnny walker black. I didn't add any extra scotch or anything, I strained the chips first.

"How long has the winter warmer been aging. I made one last December hoping to enjoy some in late February. It was harsh so I tried another one in April and it was getting better. Then in August, even better. In November they were getting quite good so the batch I made for last winter will warm me this winter."

This gives me some hope that the flavor will mellow out. Its my biggest beer yet at 8.1%, so maybe more conditioning time is required. I will let it bottle condition and sample a week before the entry deadline to see if it's any better. I definitely don't want to dump it, as that seems sacreligious. I'd rather choke down the nasty than dump a batch.

If anybody else has any input let me know.

That all sounds good to me.

I'm sure the beer will be better with some age - but I don't know why it would have a rubbery taste based on what you're telling us.

Latest posts

Back