Are you an extract or all-grain brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Extract or all-grain brewer? If all-grain what is your preferred method of mashing?

• Extract brewer w/ no plans to go all-grain.

• Extract brewer w/ plans to go all-grain; selecting BIAB as preferred method of mashing.

• Extract brewer w/ plans to go all-grain; selecting batch sparging as preferred method of mashing.

• Extract brewer w/ plans to go all-grain; selecting fly sparging as preferred method of mashing.

• I’m an all-grain brewer that uses BIAB as my preferred method of mashing.

• I’m an all-grain brewer that uses batch sparging as my preferred method of mashing.

• I’m an all-grain brewer that uses fly sparging as my preferred method of mashing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

In_Vino_Veritas

Reaction score
I posted this poll in the all-grain section and it's clear that it's not getting an appropriate representation of the extract brewing population. Therefore, I’m making a second post here that my get better visibility regarding extract brewers. If you posted in the other post PLEASE AVOID DOUBLE POSTING.

Many thanks!!!

You forgot extract brewer thinking of going partial mash brew in a bag. I sleep with my beers conditioning next to my bed. Maybe that's why I can't sleep at night? I needs help ladies & gentlemens!:drunk:

you also forgot an all grain brewer who also extract brews and has several methods of all grain sparging.
I did not see that so I have no where to vote

you also forgot an all grain brewer who also extract brews and has several methods of all grain sparging.
I did not see that so I have no where to vote

You still need to have a preference, even if you use a couple different methods. For example, I do partial mashes when making a big beer because I don’t have a big enough mash tun. However, given unconstrained equipment, I’d fly sparge.

I did not see that so I have no where to vote[/QUOTE

Partial masher here. I enjoy this method because I get the best of both worlds. Partial mashing I think will be a good stepping stone to all grain. I'm learning about most of the aspects of all grain, but at the same time its very forgiving. If If I screw up my partial mash, I still have the extract to fall back on for the majority of my fermentable sugars.

I'm relatively new brewer, I've done 5 batches, all extract with steeping grains. My plan is to keep doing extract brewing until summer, probably take most of the summer off from brewing, and try all grain next fall.

You forgot extract brewer thinking of going partial mash brew in a bag. I sleep with my beers conditioning next to my bed. Maybe that's why I can't sleep at night? I needs help ladies & gentlemens!:drunk:

Partial masher here. I enjoy this method because I get the best of both worlds. Partial mashing I think will be a good stepping stone to all grain. I'm learning about most of the aspects of all grain, but at the same time its very forgiving. If If I screw up my partial mash, I still have the extract to fall back on for the majority of my fermentable sugars.

Agreed, poll also forgot "person currently doing partial mash BIAB."

Which I do because I currently only have the facilities and equipment to mash in a 5-gallon kettle, yet it gives me the flexibility to use whatever grains I want (so long as I can get at least half my points from an available extract).

And which I don't plan to change anytime soon because I'm making brews I like very much with very minimal equipment investment and reasonably low batch ingredient costs.

I had to select the only option that made sense... which was all grain, fly sparge.

I do use extract. I haven't brewed a batch completely using extract for awhile, but I don't see any reason why I wouldn't at some point. Some of the kits I've brewed are really tasty. I also use extract in 2 of my beers. I'd call them partial mash, as I do a 60 minute mash, sparge, then add extract and top off to 6.5 gallons.

I don't see any harm either way. All grain is cheaper, and that's the biggest reason I took the plunge last year and went all-grain, but I'm a cheap skate.

If I purchase an extract kit from my local brew supply house, it will cost me about 50 bucks. My next 8 batches will cost me about 25 dollars a batch. I am using 3.3 lb of LME in 4 of the batches, but the rest is grain.

I'm transitioning from extract to all-grain. I've done one half size (2-1/2 gallons) all-grain batch using my extract equipment - then bought the equipment for 5-gallon all-grain batches. (Will be doing batch sparging.) I'll be doing one more extract batch to use up the remaining ingredients - then going back to all-grain. I didn't vote because I'm in transition.

I didn't vote.

I've recently been doing partial mashes. But my last 2 didn't turn out as well as planned.

And I don't have immediate intentions of changing this. I don't want to deal with the water profile more than buying a couple of jugs of RO water.

Partial masher here.

I'm a firm believer that if you can do extract, you can do partial mash. It's really a great stepping stone into all grain and requires much less of an equipment commitment.

Guides, Walkthroughs and Tips for New Homebrewers:

Http://thebeginnersbrew.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I extract because I do not have the space to do all grain. My kitchen is tiny, and I am in an apartment. Fire regulations won't even let me have a grill on my balcony. When I move I plan on going to all grain. But that is 6 months out.

I'm relatively new brewer, I've done 5 batches, all extract with steeping grains. My plan is to keep doing extract brewing until summer, probably take most of the summer off from brewing, and try all grain next fall.

Partial Mash and BIAB are neither one very far away from extract with steeping grains as far as what your steps are. I'm making the step to BIAB for the first time this weekend:

I detailed my proposed first BIAB recipe and exact steps in https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fi...version-help-extract-specialty-grains-466152/

The hardest part for me was getting the BIABacus spreadsheet and walking through it. Lots of cells to fill in.

The cool part is my only "expense" was buying a 5-gallon paint strainer bag from Home Depot for a few dollars. I haven't bought the grains yet, but I expect to save money there, so even on my first "all-grain" brew I expect to save money over the extract plus specialty grains recipes I've been using.

Greg

I posted this poll in the all-grain section and it's clear that it's not getting an appropriate representation of the extract brewing population. Therefore, I’m making a second post here that my get better visibility regarding extract brewers. If you posted in the other post PLEASE AVOID DOUBLE POSTING.

Many thanks!!!

I found it in the "New Posts" section

its n interesting poll... thanks

btw, I am an extract brewer that has notplans to go all-grain... I am hap[py with what I brew

Mostly extract now... I did a bunch of 1 gallon batches that were All Grain, not really looking to do 5 Gallons All grain yet, not to mention don't really have the equipment too

What agrazela said. Four or five lbs. of grain (from lhbs) in a bag plus some extract (bought in bulk), you can make some great beers for cheap - especially with homegrown hops.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm all grain. I was doing fly sparge - well, pouring the water a quart at a time over the mash as it drained off.
The past couple batches I've done batch sparge, and while I don't have the numbers dialed in quite yet, it is a lot easier and saves time over the alternative.

yup partial mash for me, perfect blend of brewing in a tight spot/ time slot. Also playing with "cold" decoction. I like being able to add/subtract grains/adjuncts Plus my mushrooms get a good boost from the spent grains mixed with sawdust/ plane chips! Plus it lets/allows me to use/abuse this key alot/often/frequently

My guess is close to 100% of people on this forum have brewed extract at some point.

I brew All Grain however I do use DME for priming sugar on damn near every batch.

Extract with Steeping grains. I can't see any reason to go all grain. I prefer most of my brews to the commercial equivalent. Plus it's fast and easy. I'm not sure why extract needs to be a "stepping stone".

Sent from my SM-N900P using Home Brew mobile app

Extract with steeping grains as well. A little intimidated to leap to AG but happy learning while I'm still on my first few batches. All IPAs, but haven't screwed anything up, and everything's tasting good so far. Learning a little bit with each batch but do plan to make the transition to AG sometime soon

Back