Are those spider mites?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be mites but they look more like aphids. Either way, the effect is the same -- they suck all the juice out of all your hop leaves, which doesn't necessarily hurt much but could hurt your hop yields slightly. Once your hops are dried, it won't matter -- just toss everything into the boil and it will turn out fine. Yes, I'm serious. Even commercial hops will see mites or aphids from time to time. They probably use insecticides to kill them and we can too, but only before the hop cones form. After the cones form, it's best not to spray poison on our hops.

No big deal. Just dry the hops and boil them like they weren't there. You'll never know the difference. I'm serious.

Now I'm thinking they are mites. Mites make webs. Aphids don't. These are stuck in webs. So they're possibly mites. Doesn't matter either way like I said, the effects are all pretty much the same.

You have an infestation. commercial growers treat for mites and will likely not lead to an infestation.

Curious to see if if you choose to brew with them and if you'll notice a difference

Those are mites, they are not aphids. DMTaylor is correct - mites make webs.

You should be able to brew with them without issue. I wouldn't worry about the few mites on the cones. The heat of brewing or the cold of freezer storage will definitely kill them.

Any hops covered in webbing should be tossed though. Minor webbing shouldn't do anything to your beer.

Back