Are this fermenters good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't speak for the quality (haven't seen them before) but for the general design:
They are stainless and have clamp on lids so should keep oxygen out well.
They have a cone-shaped bottom, but it's the wrong angle (too shallow) to be considered a real conical. They look cool, but for the same price you could get several used corny kegs to ferment in that will do just as good a job (or better).

I can't speak for the quality (haven't seen them before) but for the general design:
They have a cone-shaped bottom, but it's the wrong angle (too shallow) to be considered a real conical. They look cool, but for the same price you could get several used corny kegs to ferment in that will do just as good a job (or better).
The kegs you’d use for keging

Yep. The same kegs. They're great for fermenting in, with the added bonus that you can pressurise the ferment and do closed transfers to other kegs. Of course that would require a CO2 cylinder and regulator as well though. Without them, you can still ferment in kegs and transfer to bottles or bottling bucket using a siphon through the gas out tube.

Correct me if I’m wrong but you won’t be able to brew a full five gallons and ferment in a corny keg. With headspace and trub loss can you even get 4 gallons out of one? Just curious? I brew at least 5.5g to the fermenter to get about 5g to the serving keg...

Correct me if I’m wrong but you won’t be able to brew a full five gallons and ferment in a corny keg. With headspace and trub loss can you even get 4 gallons out of one? Just curious? I brew at least 5.5g to the fermenter to get about 5g to the serving keg...
You're not wrong, but nowhere in this thread has anyone mentioned batch size.

FWIW, my pin lock kegs hold 5.56 gal full to the brim. So, one can brew 4.5 gallons to the keg and have a gallon of headspace.

You're not wrong, but nowhere in this thread has anyone mentioned batch size.

FWIW, my pin lock kegs hold 5.56 gal full to the brim. So, one can brew 4.5 gallons to the keg and have a gallon of headspace.

Hasn’t mentioned batch size but is asking about a 7.5g fermenter, was just making the point so he and others are aware of the limitations. It’s one of the reasons I like the Anvil fermenter; I’ve upped my batches to 6.5g into the fermenter (plenty of headspace), I get to bottle 1 gallon (I bottle directly off of the fermenter via the tap) and keg the remaining 5 gallons to go on tap. I like it, it works well with the chilling package to keep fermentation temps within a degree, I also love how easy it is to clean! Only issue I’ve had is that sometimes if I don’t tighten the valve on there exactly right it will leak.

That's correct. You need 2 kegs to do a 5 gallon batch (2 kegs will cope with 7 to 8 gallons depending on the yeast). Two kegs is cheaper than one fermenter.

You can brew and serve in the same keg with a liquid out float (eg clear beer draft system). Nice for quick turn around beers like IPAs (that’s all I’ve done, so can’t comment on extended aging issues).

Hmm... it’s not either. It’s just a stainless steel fermenter with a spigot and a sealing lid. There is no temperature control.

Since it’s just a vessel, you can put it in a temp controlled fridge or wrap it with a heating blanket. It’s a bit large though, and won’t fit in every small fridge. I own the 4 gallon version of the same product so it’s a good deal smaller.

Since it’s just a vessel, you can put it in a temp controlled fridge or wrap it with a heating blanket. It’s a bit large though, and won’t fit in every small fridge. I own the 4 gallon version of the same product so it’s a good deal smaller.

Correct. I only use the heat mat. But it is about the size of a 6.5gal carboy. But since it has the handles and spigot it does makes a difference.

Latest posts

Back