Are these colored specks normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnallent

Reaction score
Hi,

Just started my first batch of home brew yesterday and am now 14 hours into primary fermentation, using a glass carboy. Maybe I'm just freaking out and shouldn't worry, but I'm seeing these colored specks this morning and am not sure if those are just hop sediments rising to the top or if this is clearly mold/bacteria. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Attaching photos for reference. Also, if helpful, here are the ingredients (5 gallon recipe):

*6 lbs liquid malt extract
*1 lbs dry malt extract
*0.5 lbs crystal malt 45ºL
*0.5 lbs crystal malt 77ºL
*0.75 oz millenium hops
*1 oz willamette hops
*1 oz cascade hops

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

Looks like a good ol homegrown krausen to me....you are good, in time it will all settle down

Awesome, thanks for all of the fast replies. I've already checked on my baby 10 times today and even given it a name (My Little Pony IPA). I'll try to relax and let it be for now.

Really appreciate it!

Oh one final question-- I did my OG reading before adding the 3 gallons of distilled water to top it up to 5 gallons (n00b mistake). Is it important to read it again now or just check it in two weeks and look for the same reading across a few days?

Oh one final question-- I did my OG reading before adding the 3 gallons of distilled water to top it up to 5 gallons (n00b mistake).[...]

If you remember the reading you got, I think if you multiply it by 2/5 the result will be the OG for the full five gallons.

Is it important to read it again now or just check it in two weeks and look for the same reading across a few days?

The latter half. I consider avoiding bottle grenades more important than knowing ABV ;)

Cheers!

it is really not all that important. You won't know the alcohol content but it won't change the beer. You will probably be able to guess the alcohol content in a beer or two :)

If you're sure of your final volume, you can calculate OG quite easily since this is all extract. If it's a recipe kit, you can just assume that it's the gravity they give you. Again, as long as you have the right volume.

Back