Are these carboys cracked? (PIC)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hifiguy

Reaction score
From my neighbor, I obtained 14 Owens Illinois glass carboys, made in 1977. He used to make wine and said these do not leak. I did fill them with water and he's correct, no leaks.

I've looked online and many people are selling this brand of carboy and all of them appear to have similar looking "cracks" embedded within the crackle design of the bottom. The "crack" does not appear to go through the glass

I'm wondering if this could simply be a part of the manufacturing process, for Owens Illinois carboys? Is anyone familiar with this brand?

01212_daKuav0AXyT_50x50c.jpg

00M0M_8pRg0XlyxFj_50x50c.jpg

If they're holding water, you should be fine. But like a cracked windshield, these could perhaps propagate. I'd say you're probably good, just avoid extreme temperatures.

What are these, carboys for ants?

(to your point, I have some glass carboys with hairline cracks. I put no extra stress on them if I can help it, and carry them in milk crates.)

I have a carboy like that. I always just assumed it was part of the design. I've used it plenty with no issues.

Your pictures are very hard to see (too small). But if it looks like this:

I think you should be fine. I have a number of carboys with this circle marks and have used them with no issues.They appear to be (I think) chill marks left over from the manufacturing process.

There's a thread similar to this on the sister site (winemakingtalk): http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f3/carboy-safe-use-39455/

Oh jeeze.....sorry, I uploaded compressed versions. So sorry.

Here's a better pic.

photo 2 (2).jpg

I have about half a dozen 5 gallon carboys with that pattern/texture on the bottom -- I had always assumed it was some sort of bizarre aesthetic effect, never occurred to me it could be a manufacturing side effect. Either way, mine aren't cracked at all, and have all performed admirably -- I wouldn't stress.

I don't know about "cracks", but I have a five gallon carboy with the same casting patterns, so I wouldn't worry about those. Otoh, it looks like there are swirling scratches all around the center area of the bottom. Could be superficial, might be deep - can't tell from the picture.

In any case, I second the recommendation to use milk crates as carriers so if something does go wrong it isn't as dramatic as some of the horror shows that have been documented on this site...

Cheers!

How have they been working for you so far???? Like I said before, Craigslist any extra you dont want of them suckers

They're working fine. Have them sitting in my garage, filled with water. Not a drop to see anywhere, it does appear to be a manufacturing thing.

I put them up on craigslist and will inform interested parties of the results of this posting.....

I just scored six of these five gallon carboys from Craigslist for a total of $20.00. It was part of the design process for Owning Illinois. Mine were manufactured between 55 and 65. Guy kept his word as others offered over $100 for them because of the markings.

My biggest concern is whether they would stand up under vacuum pressure. I filled the first one and then hooked my vacuum pump up and transferred into the next and so forth down the line. I wanted to make sure that they held up to the pressure before I put anything valuable (beer or wine) into them.

Back