Are there any difference in time when to bottle or kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryggAnton

Reaction score
Hi! I'm not that experienced in brewing beer. But i have a keg.

I just found out it's better to let the beer ferment another week after it has stopped bubbeling, and then bottle the beer. I heard doing this will improve the taste of the beer. Also this is to prevent the bottles from popping caps or exploding after you put your carbonation sugar in, since there might be some unfermented sugars left when botteling. (And this was specifically mentioned along with botteling in glass bottles)

But now i have a keg that most likely on this planet will never explode from over carbonating. And wounder if it's really necessary to wait a nother week after the bubbeling have stopped to keg the beer? Will the taste really be different if i let the beer sit another week before kegging or will those flavors develop in the keg?

Welcome to HBT !
Technically you can package after fermentation has been completed. This is very important when bottling as you mentioned . I'm a 3 week in the fermenter kind of guy. I'm not in a rush and I prefer to let the yeast clean up and do its thing. Check your gravity via hydrometer to make certain is the only way to know . Find the process that fits you best . Try different things from different brewers advice and see what you prefer . Patience is a good thing though.

But now i have a keg that most likely on this planet will never explode from over carbonating. And wounder if it's really necessary to wait a nother week after the bubbeling have stopped to keg the beer? Will the taste really be different if i let the beer sit another week before kegging or will those flavors develop in the keg?

If you keg prematurely, and chill the beer, any remaining attenuation with stop (or slow waaaaay down). In that case, it would taste different.

And bubbling is not the way to know if attenuation is finished. Stable gravity is the way to know that.

Back