Are piney hops dying/dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jam095

Reaction score
Having a Bell’s Quinannan Falls IPL, and was just pondering the rarity of piney IPA/IPL’s these days. Citrus hops have obviously taken the spotlight. So are citrus hops just the hot new thing, or did the masses forget about piney hops when the citrus rage emerged?

You're kidding yourself if you think the advent and heavy showing of fruity hops is a fad.
It's not like Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy/N.Sauvin/et al the other new strains have always been available, after all.
They're game changers. And the game has indeed been changed.

That said, I love Chinook (I grew it for 7 years and used a ton of it). I'll be using a half pound of Chinook for FO/WP/DH on this weekend's brew, along with similar amounts of Simcoe and Galaxy with a scoche of Apollo...

Cheers!

I guess my question is, do we just like citrus hops so well, we don’t bother with piney hops anymore? (I know their still used, but you know what i mean).

Centennial, cascade and northern brewer are some of my favorite types. A west coast APA/IPA and California common will get my vote over many styles. I also like the understated character of many noble hops and British hops. I honestly don't brew with the fruity varieties much but that could change in the future.

You're kidding yourself if you think the advent and heavy showing of fruity hops is a fad.
It's not like Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy/N.Sauvin/et al the other new strains have always been available, after all.
They're game changers. And the game has indeed been changed.

That said, I love Chinook (I grew it for 7 years and used a ton of it). I'll be using a half pound of Chinook for FO/WP/DH on this weekend's brew, along with similar amounts of Simcoe and Galaxy with a scoche of Apollo...

Cheers!
Nelson Sauvin aren't new. They're nearly 2 decades old. Which makes me chuckle at the huge price and scarce availability because it's one of the latest fads.

I just brewed an APA with chinook, centennial, and Columbus hops. I love it but it is definitely an old school Pale Ale. It’s what we drank in the early 2000’s

In my experience, citrus-y hops were wildly popular before piney hops. I would say the new hotness is tropical hops.

Latest posts

Back