Are blankets a good way to add insulation to a fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuntofprofundity

Reaction score
I was curious if stuffing blankets into my fermentation chamber would help maintain the temperature better and help my mini fridge run less. If not blankets, someone mentioned water bottles might help. What say you?

Q3ecJeQ.jpg

Sure, more insulation couldn't hurt as long as you weren't impeding the flow of cold air into the chamber. You might also want to use something to create separation between your carboys and the blankets so the air can circulate around the carboys. In that picture you posted, you appear to be insulating a good portion of that carboy from the cold air in the chamber.

You might also try some rigid foam insulation, cut into squares and fixed to the walls of the chamber. Anything you could do to add insulation to the chamber walls would help. You could even add insulation to the outside, as that would still be effective in keeping the cold air in.

Another idea would be to add some weather stripping to the seams so that you have a better seal, like a makeshift gasket that you would see on a fridge or freezer. See if you can find the weak points where air might be leaking out and seal those spots up.

That's a cool idea for a fermentation chamber by the way. Very creative.

Sure, more insulation couldn't hurt as long as you weren't impeding the flow of cold air into the chamber. You might also want to use something to create separation between your carboys and the blankets so the air can circulate around the carboys. In that picture you posted, you appear to be insulating a good portion of that carboy from the cold air in the chamber.

You might also try some rigid foam insulation, cut into squares and fixed to the walls of the chamber. Anything you could do to add insulation to the chamber walls would help. You could even add insulation to the outside, as that would still be effective in keeping the cold air in.

Another idea would be to add some weather stripping to the seams so that you have a better seal, like a makeshift gasket that you would see on a fridge or freezer. See if you can find the weak points where air might be leaking out and seal those spots up.

That's a cool idea for a fermentation chamber by the way. Very creative.

Thanks! I've been trying to work it out. Issues seem to be that I need better insulation on the cool side and better ventilation on the hot side. I know I can get it to work, its just a matter of funds. So in the mean time I am coming up with poor man solutions.

Here's an album if you're interested.

Late 19th century steamer chest for 50 bucks off craigslist:
C7G4GtTh.jpg

t3IAlVlh.jpg

Interesting camouflage setup you got there. Could have fooled me on the content.

Good pointers on insulation and circulation.

Where does the mini fridge's hot side vent to? Not in the same trunk it cools I hope.

Interesting camouflage setup you got there. Could have fooled me on the content.

Good pointers on insulation and circulation.

Where does the mini fridge's hot side vent to? Not in the same trunk it cools I hope.

I have about thirty or so small holes drilled into the side of fridge compartment. I also have a small computer fan blowing over a plate of water. I am going to put two larger fans in the heat compartment eventually. Also considering drilling some larger holes into the back. Girlfriends require aesthetics.

It is definitely award winning on fermentation aesthetics. Makes me wonder what you could come up with to hide a keezer :D

As long as you can separate the hot side from the cold side thermically as much as possible it should work fine. Polluting the cold side with bleeding hot air cost efficiency as does sucking out cold air with the hot. It looks the hood can benefit from better prevention of crossed air streams/leaks.

"Downy blankets" are good insulators and prevent drafts and air leaks. Just like fiberglass insulation. And fills gaps nicely.

Don't forget that venting air out also requires an air supply side. I would try to funnel the hot air out with fans while cooler room air chills the hot coil and compressor on the way in as much as possible. Maybe some clever duct work or directional vanes?

Back