Arduino Based Brew Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sockules

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know I'm not the first to throw my hat into the ring with Arduino based brew controls, but everything out there now seems to be hella-expensive, and I'm not sure why. I was building something for my home setup, and figured I'd gauge the community's interest.

I designed my controller around a re-purposed 3D printer control board. They make these in high quantity, which keeps the price down. They have a 20x4 LCD, encoder pushbutton, sonalert, and SD card slot built in! Add an enclosure, thermocouple, and a handful of relays, and that's basically it.. That and a crap-load of coding (almost done). Limitations are this would be a single contained unit, not linked to your computer, internet, cloud, birds, or anything fancy. If you had 3 kettles, you'd need 3 controllers, or need to swap one controller between them.

If there's good interest, I'll commit to finishing up before the end of the year, post updates, and all that junk. Maybe kickstarter it if I'm feeling whorish, haha. I'd also be interested to see what functionality people would want to see on a simple controller like this. Audible alerts to add ingredients, etc. Trying to keep the purchase price of this unit around $80-$100, lower if possible. Let me know, thanks!

:ban:Banana!

IMAG0494 (1024x579).jpg

sounds like this could be used by the eBIAB crowd, or on a smaller experimental system (1-2 gal batches)

I'm interested. I have Brewpi running the fermentation chamber. I bought a couple of relays, but I have not programmed anything for them yet.

I'm in a similar spot as you having half started this project once for an espresso machine, and again for rims a year or so again. Did you look into any of the open source projects that already do this? I'm torn between starting from the ground up or leveraging preexisting code.

I have found a couple of places with code that can be applied. reflow ovens and sous vie cookers. pwm needs to be slow for best control of a volume of water.

Would you link to your source files? I make a four channel temperature datalogger and I'd love to hack in this functionality.

Back