Arcadia Thunder Trail ESB Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobo31

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience harvesting yeast from this beer? There site says it is a type of Ringwood yeast. Their beer has a nice tartness from this yeast. Almost reminiscent of a sour ale. The beer I had was way over carbed. Some gushing when opened. I read about this problem on beer advocate too. I harvest some and brewed a English IPA with it. Still had that tartness and was very yummy. I really like this yeast. My concern is my beer was also over carbed unfortunately I didn't take notes of how much sugar I used during bottling. I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this yeast good or bad. Does Wyeast Ringwood have the same tartness to it or are these stains totally different?

If it is an ESB yeast, It should have any tartness to it. Its an english ale yeast that should be clean aka not sourness. Looks like the bottle you had was infected and has some lacto/pedio in there to create the tartness. The overcarb is the main signal that it was probably infected. So you used a english strain with lacto/pedio in there.

As far as I know, Ringwood doesn't give a sour character. I don't think and ESB should either.

Now "fruity" might be a descriptor used with this yeast, and I could even agree that fruitiness can easily be interpreted as sour-like.

I'd probably bet the Arcadia beer simply had a sanitation issue if it gushed like that too. I've been meaning to try this beer. I'll try and get some this weekend and see what I discover.

When I first tried the beer I was shock at the sour character it had. I am big fan of sours so I really enjoyed it and that's why I harvested the yeast. When I saw how much carbination it had, infection was the first thing I thought too. That's why I went to beer advocate and their site to see if what I was seeing is normal. Their description said tartness so I assumed it was supposed to this way.

The reviews on beer advocate are all over the place from under carbed to over carbed to just right.
I am really kicking myself for not writing down how much bottling sugar I used. I am going to brew another beer with this yeast in about 3 weeks, I will take better notes this time.

And I forgot to grab some of it this weekend. Got busy working on the house, and on Saturday the HB club filled a bourbon barrel with a group brewed KBS clone.

Back