Aquarium pump aeration- how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got a new aeration set-up from More Beer with the stainless steel diffusion stone.. I have always splashed and shaken my wort before, but I am excited to try out this new method.. So how long do you guys who use them let them bubble in the wort? Any truth to the fact that the aquarium pump method destroys head forming proteins and leads to less of a head? (Jamil Zainasheff mentioned this on the aeration episode on BrewStrong..)

wow i never heard of that before...i doubt that its true, but don't quote me on it. All I know is aerating the wort prior to pitching the yeast is the best possible thing to do for it. I don't see any difference if you're introducing o2 through a aquarium pump or other means. o2 is o2 right?

I usually let it run until the foam is near the top of the carboy. If it's really a big beer I would pump again once the foaming subsided. With pure oxygen you can over-oxygenate but with an aquarium stone it's impossible.

If you are using 100% O2 you only need a couple minutes. With an Aeration pump approximatly 20 to 30 minutes seem to be the norm. Put the drops in to tame the foam.

May have just answered my own question with this video from Wyeast on aeration.. Apparently, it's about 5 minutes..

Nice post. Answered the question for me! I used a stone and pure O2 today for a couple minutes and now feel good that I probably have the happiest yeast for miles. Thanks!

May have just answered my own question with this video from Wyeast on aeration.. Apparently, it's about 5 minutes..

Yeah, I’m tired of burning through Benzomatic tanks at $10 each so for me it isn’t a big deal to wait 5 minutes on an aquarium pump to aerate my 5 gallon or smaller batches. Small pumps are cheap. A belated thanks for posting the video!

Yeah, I’m tired of burning through Benzomatic tanks at $10 each so for me it isn’t a big deal to wait 5 minutes on an aquarium pump to aerate my 5 gallon or smaller batches. Small pumps are cheap. A belated thanks for posting the video!

Hate those aquarium pumps. They fail at the worst times. I switched over to an oxygen wand and love it. The oxygen tanks are not that expensive and you can oxygenate quite a few 5 gallon batches with a single bottle. Done in 30-60 seconds. Love it.

IMO, those pumps are good for adding oxygen continuously for starters but not good for full batches. Wyeast recommends 10ppm oxygen but those pumps only provide a max of 8ppm in 5 minutes. If you aren't going with an oxygen setup, just shake it for a minute.

If you are using 100% O2 you only need a couple minutes. With an Aeration pump approximatly 20 to 30 minutes seem to be the norm. Put the drops in to tame the foam.
20 to 30 minutes “the norm”?? Virtually anywhere I’ve read about this states about 5 minutes. To be frank, I like to do processes in home brewing that work based in fact. I see people in the forums that follow that and others stating an opinion or spitballing what works. If the Wyeast guy (much more knowledgeable than me) thinks 5 minutes with an aquarium pump is adequate, that works for me. As far as I can tell, he promotes shaking a carboy for 45 minutes if one doesn’t use pure oxygen simply because he seems to think 5 minutes is a long time. Five minutes out of my brew day is nothing. I have found the tanks highly inconsistent one to the next with how many uses I can get out them.

So I don't have a problem with the foam while aerating I aerate in the brew kettle while it's cooling down. I try to put the aerator in when the wort reaches about 75-80 degrees.

This seems to be the morebeer aquarium pump if you want a backup.
https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Whispe...keywords=aquarium+pump&qid=1609621461&sr=8-12This is what I use without any problems for about 3 years.
Thanks so much for this. I had time to cancel the one I ordered and just placed one for the Tetra. I like your idea of aerating in the brew kettle after cool down — just seems easier.

So I don't have a problem with the foam while aerating I aerate in the brew kettle while it's cooling down. I try to put the aerator in when the wort reaches about 75-80 degrees.

This seems to be the morebeer aquarium pump if you want a backup.
https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Whispe...keywords=aquarium+pump&qid=1609621461&sr=8-12This is what I use without any problems for about 3 years.
So what stone do you use? or do you

I was looking at this here just bc it came with everything inclusive but was skeptical bc usually the all in 1 package means a lot of subpar items. I was looking at the pump you linked as well.
Amazon.com: HIRALIY Aquarium Air Pump, Fish Tank Air Pump with Dual Outlet Adjustable Air Valve, Ultra Silent Oxygen Fish Tank Bubbler with Air Stones Silicone Tube Check Valves Up to 80 Gallon Tank: Sports & Outdoors

I bought the stone at the LHBS not Amazon. I used to use the Benzomatic bottled oxygen but it got too expensive. I think the valve I was using had a leak.

I bought the stone at the LHBS not Amazon. I used to use the Benzomatic bottled oxygen but it got too expensive. I think the valve I was using had a leak.
gotcha, I will check my place out. They are usually much cheaper than amazon on most items but for some things they dont carry much variety so they may only offer expensive units. I know like the stir plates there they only have a 65 dollar setup when i was looking for a cheapy. Same went with their pumps so thats why i went to the amazon. I didnt think to check for something simple like a stone there.

With my recent fermentation issues, from a different thread in this subforum, i am looking to try and improve my methods past just shakin the ish out of the carboy lol.

Latest posts

Back