Apricots Instead of Apples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OppR2nist

Reaction score
So I have an idea on my head to make an apricot cider with black cherries and cinnamon. If I were to adapt a basic cider recipe, could I replace apple juice at a 1:1 ratio? If not, what works better? My wife can't drink beer, so I want to share my hobby with her in a way that won't make her sick. Thanks, everyone!

as long as it doesn't contain preservatives, I don't see why not

might not be the same OG, but that doesn't matter.

go for it. the only thing you MUST DO is post back here with your results.

Not an expert in the etymology of words, but "cider" usually refers to a low alcohol wine made from specifically from apples. Wines - low or higher ABVs - made from other fruits are simply "wines", so you can certainly make an apricot wine. You can replace the juice 1:1 or better yet, you might take an hydrometer and check the specific gravity of the juice. Typically, apple juice will be in the region of 1.050. I suspect that apricot juice will be about the same. A starting gravity of 1.050 has a potential ABV of about 6.5% so you might want to increase the gravity to about 1.090 which is far more typical of a wine (will age better too). I don't know how good apricots are at providing yeast with the nutrients they need but I would add about 1 T of Fermaid O after the lag phase has ended. Apples are endowed with malic acid - That's a strong acid but I am unsure how tart apricots might be so I would taste the wine before you bottle (AFTER fermentation has ended ) to see if you need to add any more tartness. If it needs a kick I would perhaps add some lemon juice. One last point: I am assuming that you are thinking of fermenting apricot juice. If you intend to simply add the fruit to some water... I would cancel the water and buy about 10 pounds of fresh fruit for each gallon of juice. You don't want to dilute the juice with water... and you will need about that much fruit to express about 1 gallon of juice. Of course, you can buy pressed apricot juice at your local supermarket. In any event, you want to add pectic enzyme to the juice about 12 hours before you pitch the yeast. That'll help break down the pectins and so help create a brighter , clearer wine

VH makes a good product. I would recommend the 3 gallon volume from the one can rather than the 5 (far more fruit forward flavor).. but to each their own..

I can't speak about black cherries and cinnamon added to apricot beverages, but many times in the past I have added apricots to apple juice to produce hard cider. All apricot is very tasty IME as well as a 50/50 or so blend. One thing to consider is after all of the sugar has fermented out (if a dry cider/wine is in your plans) the tartness of the apricots seems to be quite noticeable, and for some maybe a bit too noticeable.Thankfully after some time has passed the "pucker-tartness" will mellow out and balance will be restored so-to-speak. If you are wanting an apricot forward beverage once again IME, apricot flavor will strengthen over time. If at the end of fermentation the apricot flavor is lacking, give it some time in the bottle and the apricot flavor will return. I have also had success in the past using Brewcraft brand apricot natural fruit flavor as an adjunct. It doesn't taste phony and a little goes a long way.When I did not have fresh apricots available, I used canned apricots in secondary and added one or two drops per bottle at bottling time and the end result was very tasty. The only yeast I use now to make ciders/wines is 4184 Sweet Mead Yeast; it is not an aggressive yeast and it leaves a slight amount of residual sugar after fermentation. It has a 12% alcohol tolerance so it will make great fruit wines with enough alcohol to have plenty of aging time in the bottle available. One thing I found out by accident about the 4184 yeast is if fermentation temperatures are kept under 60*F, the cider starts to develop luscious stone fruit flavors. I guess I should say the yeast starts to develop stone fruit flavors. I have read many times about people using this this yeast and it doesn't finish out fermenting for one reason or another. I currently have some sweet apple wine in a 34*F fermenter bubbling away quite happily. My sweet apple wine had an O.G. in excess of 1.100 and it did not seem to phase the yeast at all--even fermenting at such a low temperature.

OK, thanks for all the advice so far. What I'm thinking is 50% apple juice (or pear, I'm not against the idea of a perry) and a mix of apricot and black cherry juices. The sweetness of the black cherry should offset the tartness of the apricot. I would ferment with Safale-05 to keep it from being too dry. Somewhere in there I'd spice it with cinnamon.

How does that sound?

Back