Apricot Pure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinSTE

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Tomorrow I will add apricot puree to my wheat beer, but I was wondering how to make the pure, I bought about 1KG of canned half apricots, though about 40% of the cans are sugar syrup (simple syrup).
so my question is, should I remove the sugar syrup before smashing the halved apricots into pure, or should I just mix the entire blend syrup and apricots to a pure?
will the sugar syrup raise the gravity? and make the beer higher ABV? :confused: :confused:

Have a taste of the syrup, it could be that some of the apricot aroma was absorbed in it. The syrup will dry out your beer, i would remove it if possible.

I used the sugar syrup from 1 and 1/2 can to make the pure more smooth in consistency, will most likely take some time for the yeast to start again, will update later.

Seems to have worked out fine, I just put it in bottles after 6 days in secondary. will update in 14 days when I'll crack one open.

Have a taste of the syrup, it could be that some of the apricot aroma was absorbed in it. The syrup will dry out your beer, i would remove it if possible.

I'm pretty sure this isn't correct. I believe that the sugar would likely just be 100% fermentable, so the original FG would stay the same and the ABV would be boosted. My understanding is that, in order for simple sugars to dry out your beer, you have to actually replace grain weight in the recipe (i.e. same OG).

It was almost done fermenting when I added the apricot pure but started back up for 2-3 days then settled down. FG was the same as SG that I measured before putting in the apricot pure. after inspecting the can I figure that I added about 100g of sugar to the mix. As there was 16G of sugar pr. 100G of apricots and simple syrup. = 67.2G pr box, so 1 and 1/2 box = 100.8g of sugar.

Alright, it's been 2 weeks. so I'm updating.
The apricot taste is extreme. but will hopefully calm down within the next couple of weeks. I completely forgot to put the pure in a bag before adding it to the wort so i got some apricot pure in some of the bottles, but it's eat and drink both in one bottle :p
If the taste settles down it will most likely be one of my best brews so far.

I make an apricot ale. I use my wife's immersion blender on the apricots. I add juice and all to late primary. I love it. I bet yours is good too.

Back